Jumbo Chocolate Curls

Decorating By Hopeloon Updated 29 Dec 2009 , 10:33pm by juststarted

Hopeloon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hopeloon Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 1:13am
post #1 of 8

Hello

I am looking for some specific techniques on how to make very large dark chocolate curls for a wedding cake. I attached a photo below as an example. I am curious how large of a scraper I should use and any ideas on how to keep the curls from breaking-

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Hope

[/img]
LL

7 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 3:43am
post #2 of 8

Here's a thread that might be helpful:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-57174-.html

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 6:13pm
post #3 of 8

^^ many of those links are broken and the one I did find wasn't very helpful. I like tutorials with pictures. Do you know of any? Thanks!

Hopeloon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hopeloon Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 3:24am
post #4 of 8

Thanks for the links, but I couldn't get them to work. I did actually find a video from the English bakery that actually made that cake...who doesn't love youtube?? although, this will still take a lot of practice..any other hints would be greatly appreciated if anyone has ever tried this. I think the key is room temp and % of cocoa solids in the chocolate

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 3:58am
post #5 of 8

Sorry, the sites listed have done updates, so the links no longer work. icon_sad.gif

How to make chocolate curls:
(Pictoral but says there's also a video.)

http://candy.about.com/od/workingwithchocolate/tp/Chocolate-Curls.htm

HTH

Cake_Mooma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Mooma Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 5:54am
post #6 of 8

Thanks so much for the information. I can't wait to try this cake it is amazing!!!

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 7:43am
post #7 of 8

My father who was a chef used to make large choclate curls for a black forest cake he used to make every christmas...I just loved watching him work as he made things look so easy.

What he used to do is buy a huge bar of chocolate (you can use what ever you like) and he would lay it on a towel or dish cloth so it wouldn't slide or move around.

Then he would use a very large kitchen knife at an angle (sorry not sure what degree for the angle) holding onto the handle and the dull edge of the blade he would push the knife away from him on the chocolate (almost a scraping motion) and create the curl...

I hope this helps you out icon_smile.gif

juststarted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juststarted Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 10:33pm
post #8 of 8

Hopeloon, the youtube link you posted is awesome!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%