Finally! Perfect Fondant Application

Decorating By anricat Updated 17 Dec 2009 , 3:27am by TeriO

anricat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anricat Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 7:41pm
post #1 of 16

I just want to shout from the rooftops that I finally got my fondant application perfect this time around (on my Christmas cake I made yesterday). There was no tearing, no holes, no rippling, no folding, no weird pleating along the bottom and no sticking to my counter. I'm so relieved. I hope I can do it again next time!

Some tips I think helped me this time (if you're struggling like I was):

- I recently bought some Satin Ice and played with that on my previous cake (Halloween cake if the galleries were working). It really helped me better understand the exact consistency I'm aiming for with my fondant

- I've given up on MMF (marshmallow fondant). MFF (Michele Foster's fondant) is completely the way to go.

- With cornstarch, less is actually more.

- When it's all rolled and ready, roll the fondant around the rolling pin and then roll onto the cake (as opposed to trying to pick it up and then lay it over the cake).

- Don't roll it too thin.

- Instead of spraying the cake with water from a water bottle, like I usually do, I used some tylose dissolved in water (which is what I use to glue my fondant pieces together) and I brushed a very thin coating over the entire cake with a pastry brush. This gave me much more even coverage for the tackiness and also made it less wet and slippery and more sticky. It was the perfect amount of moisture.

- Secure the corners and right up near the top first so it can't rip and pull at the edges, then begin smoothing the rest.

- Lift but also almost push the fondant up and in from the bottom when smoothing to keep from getting pleats and folds along the bottom.

Yay!

15 replies
sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 8:03pm
post #2 of 16

So glad it's working for you now anricat. Enjoy that Cakebuzz! icon_lol.gif

fabray13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabray13 Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 8:32pm
post #3 of 16

why do you spray the cake with water? i usually place the fondant on the buttercream (or whatever frosting i am using). am i missing something?

anricat Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 9:33pm
post #4 of 16

I was spraying the buttercream with water. So bring tackiness back to the buttercream.

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 10:28pm
post #5 of 16

CONGRATULATIONS! party.gif
I intend to try your suggestions on my next fondant cake...sure hope I can avoid the dreaded wrinkle/pleat/bunchiness nightmare around the bottom! icon_confused.gif
Thanks for the tips...

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 4:57am
post #6 of 16

i think you shared some great tips there that will help alot of people. Isn't it such a relief to get it on smoothly.!!

Becky52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Becky52 Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 5:53pm
post #7 of 16

Thanks for the tips! I've avoided covering cakes with fondant because of that pleating/bunching issue at the bottom. So annoying. Do you have your cake just on the turntable or counter when you do it? Or do you have it elevated in order to get around it better? Also, is your cake board slightly smaller than the cake? I just have problems with it comes to tucking it under or finishing it on the bottom...icon_sad.gif

Kims_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kims_cakes Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 6:10pm
post #8 of 16

After looking at the great Christmas cake, looks like you've got it! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

crazydoglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazydoglady Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 6:38pm
post #9 of 16

on my last fondant cake, i put it on a smaller stand because the cake was tall.
for the first time, i had pleating at the bottom and am wondering if it was because of the method or the height of the cake.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 6:45pm
post #10 of 16

Congratulations!!!! Fondant really is NOT difficult.... if you take a few easy steps. I'm a choc. fodant gal ALL the way, too!!!!

Jen icon_smile.gif

TeriO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TeriO Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 7:01pm
post #11 of 16

I have always used mmf. Where can I find the recipe for mff?

crazydoglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazydoglady Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 7:17pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeriO

I have always used mmf. Where can I find the recipe for mff?

there you go!

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7432/Michele-Fosters-Updated-Fondant

anricat Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 7:28pm
post #13 of 16

Becky52: I have my cake on the turntable so that it's easier to go around and smooth. The cake circle size varies and I have found it does not impact my fondant application.

TeriO: MFF seems, initially, like it's more work and there are a few more steps involved, but it is so worth it. All the mixing is done in the stand mixer and it's just so much nicer to work with.

Lorieann55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorieann55 Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 8:00pm
post #14 of 16

Congratulations!

Smooth fondant sure can give one a feeling of accomplishment!

I'll have to give MFF a try, you've inspired me.......

creations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
creations Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 8:22pm
post #15 of 16

congrats i use satin ice fondant and i tend to use a lil cisrco if becomes to dry and its perfect , thanks and enjoy

TeriO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TeriO Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 3:27am
post #16 of 16

Thanks guys.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%