Diamond Ring?

Decorating By erilay Updated 14 Dec 2009 , 8:35pm by creations

erilay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erilay Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 12:27am
post #1 of 8

What is the best way to make a diamond ring? IT is for the top of a cake and it will only be the size of a real ring or slightly larger.
I might intertwine the 2 rings.

I would like any tips on making the rings, but mostly the stone. Is it easy to do it out of sugar or just use fondant. If I use fondant how do I get it really shiny to look like a real stone. Also should I make a mold or it is not worth it?

Thanks so much in advance.

7 replies
Sweetgurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetgurl Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 2:30pm
post #2 of 8

I wouldn't put time or effort into something so small. If it were an extremely large size and it was the main focus of the cake , then I would suggest using sugar and a mold. But why waste your time when you could use that energy to put into the cake underneath? I've been decorating for quite a few years professionally and have come to the realization to put forth effort where it will be of most value.

sweettoothmom1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom1 Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 3:22pm
post #3 of 8

you can buy the mold and use isomalt. or Michael's sells a bag full of plastic gems if u dont mind using those. they look realistic

erilay Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 7:25pm
post #4 of 8

thanks for the link. I wonder if u can buy it in a store or only online.

I thought about using a fake stone. I wonder if it would be better to just use luster dust or something shiny on white fondant or put an inedible stone on the cake?

I am going to look for some more pictures. I did not find any small rings only really large ones.

obabassa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
obabassa Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 7:51pm
post #5 of 8

Does the ring have to be made out of sugar. I bought some diamond ring paperweights on ebay for cheap. All it did was dip the part being inserted in the cake with white chocolate so that the metal didn't touch the cake.
(Dipped and let dry a few times to get a good thick coat)
Ebay them in several different sizes. Got one as big as about 8 inches tall.
Don't know if this will help but thought I would suggest it.
Oh yeah, on the 8 in on I had to insert 4 dowels on the side of it for support since it was heavy. Two on each side, top and bottom.

erilay Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 8:18pm
post #6 of 8

Interesting, thanks for the tip. I will check it out. I like to use all edible things, but maybe I would do something like that for a ring. I will take a look. Thanks, I am willing to listen to suggestions.

I don't think a ring is that hard to make I just want the stone to shine...

creations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
creations Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 8:25pm
post #7 of 8

i did a engagement cake this weekend i did the 2 ring is using gumpaste and painted luster dust on it and inside of diamonds i used 3 "carrots" they love it , ill try and post a pic if i can

creations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
creations Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 8:35pm
post #8 of 8

ok pic is up

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%