Air Bubbles In The Fondant

Decorating By luv2bcre8f Updated 13 Dec 2009 , 12:27am by juststarted

luv2bcre8f Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bcre8f Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 7:21pm
post #1 of 4

Does anyone else have this problem? After I cover a cake and seem to have a flawless finish, a few hours later tiny little bubbles push up against the surface of the fondant. With this last cake, I was able to place snowflakes wherever a bubble appeared, but i won't always be this lucky. I guess i am leaving air trapped in the fondant during the kneading process, even though i try to be very careful. Just wondering how to eliminate this problem....?

3 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 7:36pm
post #2 of 4

The easiest thing to do is to keep a watch on the cake and prick the air bubble with a pin when you see it start to form and then smooth it out again. Some people say that this happens when the cake you place the fondant on is too cold. I let mine set up with a crumb coat for at least two hours so that the cake can settle and the crumb coat can crust up for the fondant. The one and only time I had bubbles was when I rushed this process and didn't let the cake set up and come to room temp. It's just one of those fondant things I think.

luv2bcre8f Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bcre8f Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 8:19pm
post #3 of 4

,,,,you know, I did cover the cake while it was still cold...that may have been the problem! I'm thawing another to work on right now , so I'll make sure it's completely room temp before I cover it and see if it makes a difference. Thanks for the suggestion!

juststarted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juststarted Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 12:27am
post #4 of 4

After you cover the cake with fondant, make 1 or 2 holes with screwer which you can cover with a decoration later on. This will let the air release once it's formed. Also spraying/brushing water over your crumbcoat before applying the fondant would reduce the trapped air syndrome thumbs_up.gif .

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%