Buttercream - How Long To Store???

Decorating By Trixyinaz Updated 11 Dec 2009 , 6:15pm by Trixyinaz

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 4:55pm
post #1 of 5

I made a huge batch of BC (by accident) on Nov. 20 and have it in a plastic bag in my fridge. I have an order for next week and wonder if it will still be good to use. It is Sugarshack's recipe - there is no butter in it....just sweetex, flavoring and PS. I meant to put it in the freezer, but forgot. I hope it will still be good! If you know, please let me know. Thanks!

Vicki

4 replies
DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 5:07pm
post #2 of 5

It will be perfectly fine. Her buttercream can even be stored outside of the fridge. No butter, no dairy, so it's going to be great as long as it it airtight and doesn't absorb other flavors. Maybe put it inside another container, also.

Stefy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stefy Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 5:14pm
post #3 of 5

That's almost a month?!?!?! I certainly wouldn't use it. Would you want to be served with buttercream that was a month old?

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 5:19pm
post #4 of 5

I would definitely taste it first. Re-whip it and taste it. Usually, it's just fine, depending on how it's been stored. For future reference, freeze it ASAP, if you need to keep it that long.

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 6:15pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks Dee. I know. I threw it in the fridge and was going to make room in my freezer the next day. One thing led to another and I completely forgot. I will definately taste first....absorbing odors was a concern of mine, among other things. It has been sealed, but I didn't put it in another container. However, I do have the bag full of icing in one of my veggie/fruit drawers all by itself. Keeping fingers crossed.

Stefy - if it tastes the same as it did when I first made it, heck yeah I'd use it for myself even it if was 2 months old. If it doesn't taste the same to me, then I most definately wouldn't serve it to someone. I just couldn't remember the storage time in the fridge. I know it lasts a long time if frozen.

Thanks for the replies ladies!

Vicki

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%