Bc Seperating

Decorating By bpmd210 Updated 10 Dec 2009 , 12:17am by JenniferMI

bpmd210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bpmd210 Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 8:19pm
post #1 of 5

I just did a christmas tree cake and I noticed that the bc I colored green and red kind of "seperated" a bit. I'm not really sure how to describe it, it looked almost like the cocoa butter that seperates from chocolate. Any ides?

4 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 9:28pm
post #2 of 5

Alot of the time when I make dark colors (even when using Americolors) I get a seperation. I think it is from adding too much liquid (the coloring) in, and it throws off the balance of the icing. Think about if you get your icing too thin it often does the same thing.

When I make dark colors now I just toss in a little cornstarch to it, and it fixes that problem.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 9:30pm
post #3 of 5

It may be the no trans fat shortening. The oil will weep out of your icing and cause the icing to separate and even slide. Did you use shortening in your bc?

bpmd210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bpmd210 Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 9:54pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

It may be the no trans fat shortening. The oil will weep out of your icing and cause the icing to separate and even slide. Did you use shortening in your bc?

I sure did

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 12:17am
post #5 of 5

Yup, probably the no transfat thing. Try using an icing with a transfat fat in it. I use both, crisco and Sweetex. I'm happy to share my recipe if you PM me.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%