Teacher Gift Ideas

Lounge By mbelgard Updated 11 Apr 2014 , 5:39am by Everyonecelebra

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 5:02pm
post #1 of 33

I still haven't decided what to send for my boys' teachers this year and I wanted to know if anyone had ideas that aren't expensive. The only idea the boys have come up with is toffee or fudge.

My big problem is that we have a large list of teachers to get for. My first grader has two teachers in his room and my fifth grader's room has a teacher and a full time aide. They also want something for the two gifted teachers, the culture teacher and the band teacher. They should get gifts, the band teacher is there every morning for the fifth grade band to practice before school, the gifted teachers are doing science fair two days a week after school with my oldest and both boys have dance practice with the culture teacher so they spend alot of time with my kids. I'm on the fence about going along with the idea to get something for my first grader's reading teacher or my fifth grader's math teacher because that will take the list to 10.

32 replies
Maydo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maydo Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 5:10pm
post #2 of 33

I used to teach and will admit, I loved food. I have some felt bags I got last year. In the felt bag, I am putting in a small bag of Chex Mix, a bag of Aloha Granola and will get around to cookies and add that to another small bag.
I chose the Chex Mix and granola b/c I could mix a double batch and dole it out to everyone. I found it hard to mkae that many cookies for , as you said, 10 people, and make it look substantial.
I think it is great you are giving to all the teachers and aides. I give to the bus drivers and janitors. Everyone plays a role in education.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 5:13pm
post #3 of 33

Last year, my son read Frog and Toad, and one day I saw the little Frog and Toad beanie babies, which were the cutest thing ever. That's what we gave her. This year, though, I have no idea what I will give! Maybe a cookie bouquet?

sugarjones Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarjones Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 5:18pm
post #4 of 33

Have you seen the cake pops on Bakerella that look like apples with cute faces? They are adorable!! If you're in the mood for something like that it would be a cute idea. icon_smile.gif

summernoelle Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 5:45pm
post #5 of 33

These? Super cute! http://www.bakerella.com/candy-apples/ That is a really good idea!

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 8:24pm
post #6 of 33

If you've been teaching for any amount of time, you actually flinch at Christmas or the end of the year. I work in academia and get to here all the complaints of the K-12 teachers and all these gifts. Most of them dread all this stuff and most throw it away or drop it off at a thrift store outside the school district. A heart felt card would be better.

A gift card of gift certificate is welcome, food and gift items are not. Many plan to get fit over the holidays and dread all these sweets and foods being dropped on their desk.

Also while we might think we have good taste and give them that cute little teacher item - everyone's tastes differ and they are too polite to not ooh and aah over that perfectly awful little wall doodad.

sugarjones Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 8:32pm
post #7 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by summernoelle

These? Super cute! http://www.bakerella.com/candy-apples/ That is a really good idea!

Yup! Those are the ones. They look like brownie pops, from the pictures. Yummy and so adorable! I guess they don't have faces on them, but they could! icon_smile.gif

That makes me sad that most teachers hate stuff like that icon_sad.gif
But I understand, must be like getting socks and underwear for your birthday! haha

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 8:58pm
post #8 of 33

My kids are making bracelets for their teachers. I have some pretty nice beads and we'll make a stretch bracelet for each one...I have malachite, carnelian and hematite, so even though it's going to be made by the kids it will be something that's nice enough for an adult to wear.

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 9:40pm
post #9 of 33

I make chocolate covered Oreos with my spinning leaf molds, and give them a gift card to Target.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 10:38pm
post #10 of 33

I buy items that are needed for the classroom like tissues, paper, markers...etc. If I don't do this I get them gift certificates.
I also ask them if they would like a dessert for the holiday and they all so far have said yes. I make a small list of items up and ask them what they would like.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 12:05am
post #11 of 33

My boys are in 1st grade and my dd is in kindergarten. This year the teachers are getting a picture book that was on their wish list from the book fair and a basket of goodies - some chocolate covered oreos, cake bites, cookies, etc.

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 1:46am
post #12 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarjones

That makes me sad that most teachers hate stuff like that icon_sad.gif
But I understand, must be like getting socks and underwear for your birthday! haha

It's not that we hate stuff like that! You just get so MUCH of that after a year or two! Twenty five kids (or more!) multiplied number of years teaching equals a whole LOT of mugs, little picture frames, bookmarks, necklaces, notepads and other teacher stuff.
It's truly not a lack of appreciation for the thought and effort. It's just more "how much of that stuff can one person have and use?". Honestly, I LOVE gift cards. There's so much to buy during the course of the year for a classroom. If every child wrote a note and gave a $5 gift card from Wal-Mart, that would really be an outstanding gift for me! Shoot, I love the notes even without gift cards.....the notes just melt me.

Jodie

browniebatterer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
browniebatterer Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 2:20am
post #13 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayakado

If you've been teaching for any amount of time, you actually flinch at Christmas or the end of the year. I work in academia and get to here all the complaints of the K-12 teachers and all these gifts. Most of them dread all this stuff and most throw it away or drop it off at a thrift store outside the school district. A heart felt card would be better.

A gift card of gift certificate is welcome, food and gift items are not. Many plan to get fit over the holidays and dread all these sweets and foods being dropped on their desk.

Also while we might think we have good taste and give them that cute little teacher item - everyone's tastes differ and they are too polite to not ooh and aah over that perfectly awful little wall doodad.

I'm not sure polite is the way you describe people who gripe about gifts they are given and then toss them in the dumpster. And no offense, but if you work in academia, you should probablly know the difference between here and hear.

andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 2:48am
post #14 of 33

I'm trying to decide on teacher gifts as well. If I were home and able, I would be doing my usual homemade fare (Cookies in a Jar/ Snowman Soup/ Cookie Platters etc) but since I have to depend on Amazon for all of the gift giving this year I was thinking of getting my son's teacher one of my favorite cook books. I love all of the ones from Gooseberry Patch & they have cute craft and entertaining ideas.
http://www2. gooseberrypatch .com/

But then I started thinking maybe a cute cupcake book, because they are fun and she's a teacher so some of the ideas might be useful, so either Martha Stewarts CC Book or Hello, Cupcake.

My question is, should I include a covered Cupcake carrier/pan
or the Wilton CC decorating set or just go with the book?

summernoelle Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 2:59am
post #15 of 33

How much are you guys planning on spending? I don't want to spend more than $10-$15.

CakesByJen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 3:49am
post #16 of 33

I've been doing Starbuck's gift cards. A $5 card is enough to give someone a nice coffee break; they can get a tall reg coffee and a pastry, or a large fancy drink. There's also hot chocolate and teas for those who don't drink coffee. I think it's probably one of the nicest and most useful $5 gifts you can get, and I think just about anybody could find something at Starbucks they'd like.

andpotts Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 4:16am
post #17 of 33

A Starbucks card is a good idea. I decided to stay in the $10 range so I just got the Hello Cupcake book icon_smile.gif

summernoelle Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 6:03am
post #18 of 33

I like the Starbucks idea too. Even if they don't like coffee, they can get tea or a pastry.

sugarjones Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 5:19pm
post #19 of 33

My nephew is in pre-school so he technically doesn't have a teacher (there are about 8 teachers there) so my sister asked me to make them those apple cakepops. My first attempt at them was a disaster so I'm sticking with my comfort zone and making them all cupcakes with a mini apple shaped sugar cookie on top (they turned out adorable!). If they don't want them, they can give them to someone else. But I think it's cute and thoughtful (and it's what I do so it's advertising, as well! ) icon_smile.gif

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 4:12am
post #20 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkolmar

I buy items that are needed for the classroom like tissues, paper, markers...etc.

This is what I am thinking as well. I was told by the school director of my daughter's preschool the teachers set up a small tree of their needs/wants. I bake for every party they have (those little peanuts have something every month, no wonder preschool is so much fun!) and am making personalized cookies for my daughter's classmates so I actually want to avoid baking more for the teachers. I bought them each a small candle but wasn't sure what else to add to it. . .

mbelgard Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 3:53pm
post #21 of 33

Thanks for the ideas but some of them just wont' work in our situation, I really wish the teachers would set up a wish list of things they want for the classroom but our school doesn't do that. I suspect it's because they don't think it's a good idea to ask for things when many families are very poor, this is a reservation school. This school won't even tell parents that they need to provide school supplies.

Starbucks won't work even because we live 2 hours from one.

With the list my kids have I want to keep it as cheap as possible, we're talking 8-10 people here not counting the two bus drivers that I forgot about when I first posted. Cutting the list down much isn't really an option, we have 4 between the two classrooms and then 4 that at least one boy spends time with outside of regular school hours.

I think I'm leaning towards food since most of the teachers on the list have children at home so they have someone to consume it if they are watching their weight.

andpotts Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 9:39pm
post #22 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbelgard

Thanks for the ideas but some of them just wont' work in our situation, I really wish the teachers would set up a wish list of things they want for the classroom but our school doesn't do that. I suspect it's because they don't think it's a good idea to ask for things when many families are very poor, this is a reservation school. This school won't even tell parents that they need to provide school supplies.

Starbucks won't work even because we live 2 hours from one.

With the list my kids have I want to keep it as cheap as possible, we're talking 8-10 people here not counting the two bus drivers that I forgot about when I first posted. Cutting the list down much isn't really an option, we have 4 between the two classrooms and then 4 that at least one boy spends time with outside of regular school hours.

I think I'm leaning towards food since most of the teachers on the list have children at home so they have someone to consume it if they are watching their weight.

How much are you looking to spend in general, for that many I would think in the $1.50-$2.00 range would be good and gifts certainly don't need to be expensive to be greatly appreciated. Like I said I usually do cookie platters and a homemade gift like snowman soup. There hasn't been a time when everyone who got a Snowman soup from us wasn't tickled pink. I put them in tall, ceramic mugs from the $ store or Wal-Mart(they usually have cute ones with snowmen or reindeer or santa on them), that makes them a little more expensive so those are for the main teachers and then for everyone esle I do them in cellophane baggies with the cute tag and ribbon and they are great! Let me know if you need any of the files/tag templets etc. They take a little bit of crafting time, but are so cute and make a wonderful, not-expensive gift!

Sox-n-Pats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sox-n-Pats Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 8:18am
post #23 of 33

Ok as a teacher, this is a subject near and dear to my heart.

1. stay away from mugs, paper weights, things with apples on it, christmas ornaments, perfumes, picture frames, and most candles. There are only so many mugs, picture frames and candles we can handle. Most of us really don't need more. Perfume- unless you know she/he likes that scent- it's a no no. Same with candles. I have candles coming out of my ears- but I love candles- I just don't like all scents. If you know favorite scents- give candles, if not stay away. I end up giving away the fruity scents because I can't stand them. And apples are just WAYYYY overdone.

2. Suggestions....
-lotions. look on the teachers desk and find the scent she uses daily. Or ask their favorite lotion scent.
-books--books for the classroom, books to personally read
-movie gift certificates
-starbucks cards are great, but so are amazon gift cards, or borders gift cards- teachers can order online
-does the teacher have an iPod... get a iTunes gift card
-a basket of favorite munchies... popcorn, chocoaltes...

my favorite gifts i've received....
starbucks cards
6 cases of Coca-Cola (yes, 6 cases from one student- and yes, I'm a Coke drinker)
chocolates
books for my class (I had 6 parents get together and all buy 1 of a great book so I had a set of 6 for small groups reading)
a 30 minute massage
really cool beaded necklace
a home made gift card for 1 hour of volunteer time
a Bath and Bodyworks gift basket (they asked my favorite scents)
candy basket with a DVD of a movie I had mentioned I had wanted to see
a few bags of coffee beans

The best presents are always those that are me... I love massages, I love Starbucks, I love Coke, I love parent volunteers, the movie I had mentioned in class, the books I wanted, a new book from my favorite author- or one I missed along the way....

happy shopping!

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 11:59am
post #24 of 33

When my kids were in school, I always did gifts for every teacher they encountered whether at school or church, or some type of lesson. That was a lot of gifts on a pretty small budget! We tried lots of things over the years. Probably the easiest thing was fudge - a big pan of fudge can be divided into several chunks or individual pieces for a nice little box.

One year, I bought lunch size bags, cut out Christmas shapes from sponges, gave the kids some paint and they decorated the bags. I added mini loaves of pumpkin bread, fudge and I don't remember what else!

I always thought pumpkin and banana bread were nice choices...not quite a sweet. Sometimes I made regular bread because I always think fresh homemade bread is a treat!

It's a little late now, but one year I made herbal vinegars. Very inexpensive if you find cheap bottles and pretty too!

Mme_K Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mme_K Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 12:57pm
post #25 of 33

After 30 years of teaching, I always cringe at Christmas and the end of the year when gifts were brought in. I love the children and the thoughtfulness of the parents, but I certainly don't need any more Christmas mugs or decorations.
Anything consumable is really great. You often don't have time to bake the things you want for the holidays. Home made baked goodies are often a godsend. Starbuck's gift certificates are a treasure. A bottle of wine is a nice treat.
A donation to the humane society in the teacher's name is great for an animal lover.(or any other of the teacher's favorite charities)

egensinnig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
egensinnig Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 2:10pm
post #26 of 33

We have given our (female) pre-school teachers:
Really nice Tea-blends like silver needle jasmine or other luxurious variants
Hand creme and a nice perfumed candle in a small lantern
Gift cards
Truffles and pralines
Flowers

And I've always reckoned they could give it to someone else if they don't like it. It's the thought that counts.

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 4:53am
post #27 of 33

I teach high school now, and so I don't get gifts anymore. But when I did, my absolute favourite thing to get was a handwritten note on a pretty card. I post all cards, notes, and pictures that I get on a special board over my desk. They remind me why I teach.

Rachie204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachie204 Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 3:12am
post #28 of 33

I am doing Mason Jars Filled with Dry Cake ingredients decorated with a tag attached with baking instructions.... super cheap and has a nice homemade warm feeling.

susanmm23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanmm23 Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 4:40am
post #29 of 33

im doing popcorn. i get it from our local popcorn store. i have 3 kids and between the 3 of them we have close to 30 teachers/bus drivers and office workers. the pop corn is super cheap. i paid 20 for a huge bag of popcorn that is red white and green. then i go to hobby lobby and buy little treat boxes and fill them up and ad a business card from the popcorn store.

my best friend makes her own popcorn. she buys the microwave kind and covers it in candy melts. she doesnt have as much to do since she only has one kid in school.

our teachers love the popcorn and eagerly wait for it on party days.

mbelgard Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 9:51pm
post #30 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanmm23

im doing popcorn. i get it from our local popcorn store. i have 3 kids and between the 3 of them we have close to 30 teachers/bus drivers and office workers.

Here I thought I had it bad. icon_eek.gif I don't feel obligated to give to the office workers at all because my kids never see them and I am in the office maybe twice a year. The security guard at the door takes care of signing kids in and out so I don't even have to go for a slip if I'm taking a kid early.

I've decided to do toffee and fudge for the teachers. I can be lazy that way and I'll only have to pack it, I taught my oldest to make candy last year. icon_twisted.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%