Jewelry Value?

Lounge By Rachie204 Updated 10 Dec 2009 , 4:09pm by Auryn

Rachie204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachie204 Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 10:09pm
post #1 of 4

Does anyone know if there is a "Kelly blue book" type thing for Jewelry I could get my hands on? I have a ring I am wanting to sell but I'm not 100% sure of the value. Anyone know of a site online that does free appraisals or something? I could get the ring appraised but that is a good $75.00 (around here anyway) and I think it's only worth around $200 or $250 so that would be silly. Any ideas? Thanks

3 replies
CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 11:37pm
post #2 of 4

Do you have any paper work on it?
Is it diamond or another stone? If you know what kind of metal (gold, silver platinum) and what kind and quality of stone it has ( carat , cut, color and clarity) you can always look up rings for sale that are similiar.

Rachie204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachie204 Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 12:56am
post #3 of 4

well i know it's 14ct white gold and i know there are some smaller diamonds surrounding the stone that I had tested and they are real. The main stone is Blue Topaz and i know it's real but I have no idea the Ct. size or weight of the blue topaz stone. (if there is even a ct. measurement for topaz)... i don't have any paperwork on it.

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 4:09pm
post #4 of 4

Honestly,
you are looking at just the value of the stones because 14kt white gold (especially if its American because it means its actually yellow gold coated in rhodium. In the rest of the world white gold is white gold).

There really isn't a kelly blue book in jewelery like you are looking for because the value changes daily- sometimes hourly- depending on the changing value in the stock market.

I'm surprised that someone would charge you $75 for an appraisal, that is ridiculous.

Are you looking to get the value so that you can get it insured or to resell it??
The resale value of mounted jewelry is a LOT lower than what someone would originally pay for it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%