Shaping Rice Krispie Treat Covered In Fondant

Decorating By D1976 Updated 11 Dec 2009 , 1:48pm by celestecakes78

D1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
D1976 Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 8:02pm
post #1 of 7

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1440553

Can someone who's done this give me any helpful hints. I want to make some construction vehicles like in this cake where they are carved and covered in fodant. Does the RKT have to be any special consistency? ie:more or less gooey. Do they have to set for so long before you can carve your shape? Any tricks to cover the RKT. Thanks in advance.

6 replies
2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 8:16pm
post #2 of 7

For me, a firmer consistency of RKT works best - and chill it before covering with fondant so it holds it shape. I crunched the RKT's for the baby feet I did, so they were even more firm. After your forms are firm, cover with BC to smooth it out before putting on the fondant. HTH

celestecakes78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
celestecakes78 Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 8:21pm
post #3 of 7

You don't want to make your treats too gooey just follow the recipe on the cereal box.Some people like to cut back on the butter or margarine in the recipe, personally i've never had a prob leaving the recipe alone and working with it that way.I shape them when they are warm to whatever I need them to look like and let them rest a few hours.I've never just made a block and cut it with a knife to the shape, I think I saw that on food network challenge.

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 4:01pm
post #4 of 7

There was a great tip on this site about using melted white chocolate instead of butter/margarine. It causes the rkt to dry rock hard (very stable) But it just requires the rkt to be shaped reasonably quickly. They also said to compress it very hard and that was also a great tipicon_smile.gif

mrsb37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsb37 Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 12:43am
post #5 of 7

Same question!

I need to make a couple of skyscrapers (about 10" tall - nothing major) for a superhero cake & I am going to use RKT's.

Do I need to dowel them to get them to stand up straight?

Thanks!

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 1:05am
post #6 of 7

Sometimes I even crush my rice crspies before I combine it with the butter and marshmellow, gives you a smother texture.

celestecakes78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
celestecakes78 Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 1:48pm
post #7 of 7

Mrsb37, If you are going to travel with the cake it would be a good idea to dowel them for support.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%