Cakes Prep/ Freezing Them?

Decorating By goodnightelizabeth Updated 7 Dec 2009 , 11:32am by leepat

goodnightelizabeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goodnightelizabeth Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 7:21am
post #1 of 3

a few questions....when I bake my cakes and need to freeze them.....is it best to freeze with or without a filling? How do I wrap them to avoid feezer burn? Can I freeze a cake covered in fondant.....or even refridgerate over night? Do the cakes need to thaw before filling and decorating? Thaw time???? Somehow I missed the cake prep for real world cake making in my wilton classes....or the fine print was just too fine! icon_cry.gif ANY help would be greatly appreciated!!! icon_biggrin.gif

2 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 10:11am
post #2 of 3

Hi, you can freeze cakes with fillings. I have done it few times, but it was bc filling. When I need to freeze, I wrap it in saran wrap, really well and then cover it in foil and then I put it in a freezer bag too! To thaw it I put it in the fridge the night before and the next day take it out and leave it in the counter to come to room temperature. You shouldn't take the wrapping off when thawing. After that only I start torting and filling.

Once I saw a post about freezing a fondant covered cake. If you put the cake in a cake box and wrap it in saran wrap really well, you can do it. When its thawing, you shouldn't touch it. If you have an airconditioner, put that on.

leepat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leepat Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 11:32am
post #3 of 3

After I bake my cakes I always put them in the freezer, it seems to stabilize them. I never freeze one with filling but I am sure it would be fine. As far as fondant goes, I have hear pros and cons about that. I personally would not.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%