Christmas

Decorating By gloria Updated 8 Dec 2009 , 6:29am by gloria

gloria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gloria Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 6:25am
post #1 of 6

I would like to make christmas tree balls (actual round balls - not the cup cake kind) but the more I look at the photos in the gallery, the more I'm discovering they are cupcakes.

Does anyone have a clear pic of a round one?

Any hints on what I do when I get to last part of covering them with fondant?

I need about 2 dozen (in the very near future) but may have to resort to something else if I can't find out how to do them.

5 replies
PatricesPieces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PatricesPieces Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 7:11am
post #2 of 6

Here is a picture of some I did. I made these out of rice cereal but they can be made with cake as well.

I would freeze the cake balls and then cover them in fondant. It will be easier to handle that way.

Frost the ornament, but only frost the top 3/4 when you are smoothing the fondant, the buttercream will ooze out the bottom if you frost the entire ornament.

If you only frost the top 3/4, the buttercream will ooze down enough to cover the rest without causing a major mess. ( I hope this makes sense) I cover my oranments in white fondant since I usually frost with vanilla buttercream. That way if a bit of buttercream escapes it's not going to mix with your colored fondant and cause white streaks.

Roll the fondant out larger than the ornament and lay it over the top of the ornament and start smoothing downward. Once I get to the bottom I twist and pinch the excess fondant off.

To get the ornament smooth I bought some plastic ornaments from a craft store. I buy them large enough to fit the cake ornaments in with room for them to roll around in.

Cornstarch the plastic ornaments and roll the fondant covered ornament inside the plastic ornament. This keeps fingerprints off the ornaments and rolls it very smooth.

For decorating, I use luster dust or petal dust thinned with lemon extract to paint the ornaments and decorate with royal icing or fondant decorations.

If you have any questions, just send me a pm message and I will share what I know. Good luck and post the pictures when you are done!!

Here is the link to my ornaments.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=147863

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 7:53am
post #3 of 6

experiment.

sherrycanary62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherrycanary62 Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 11:34am
post #4 of 6

If you are not wanting to use actual cake you could make a them out of chocolate and then dust them the color you want.

Michaels sells the plastic tree ornaments that come apart...coat the inside of each half with chocolate, let set, remove and then glue the two halves together, if you use white chocolate you can add the color before you pour it.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 5:40pm
post #5 of 6

If I'm understanding the question correctly, just use a mini ball pan. Sandwich the halves together and you have a round.

gloria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gloria Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 6:29am
post #6 of 6

I'm good with making the actual cake part of it. I just don't understand, when I'm covering them with fondant, what to do with all that excess fondant at the end of it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%