Modeling Chocolate Greasy

Decorating By sister340 Updated 8 Dec 2009 , 9:56pm by FromScratch

sister340 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sister340 Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 6:25am
post #1 of 10

I made modeling chocolate tonight using regular tollhouse chocolate chips. It was totally greasy and didn't mold well. Do you think it's because I used that type of chocolate?
j.

9 replies
FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 6:41am
post #2 of 10

You really have to let it set up overnight before you use it. It will be greasy when you first make it... especially if you agitate it. Some people milk the oil out of their modeling chocolate, but I don't bother. If you leave it to set up wrapped in plastic wrap overnight it should be okay.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 4:03pm
post #3 of 10

I agree with the above, it is always greasy when you first make it - it all works in after you let it set overnight.

BakingJeannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingJeannie Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 6:21pm
post #4 of 10

OMG! I threw away two batches because I thought I had a bad recipe!!! I use the used Colette Peters recipe with better luck. I just printer serious_cakes recipe from site to try, so I will really note this. This post was very helpful.

Thanks & Cheers!

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 6:34pm
post #5 of 10

How do you milk out the oil?

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 7:03pm
post #6 of 10

After kneading it, I just wipe it down a few times with a paper towel to get any excess off.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 11:34pm
post #7 of 10

Ahh... then a paper towel that doesn't have lint would be good.

FromScratch Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 12:50am
post #8 of 10

You can just squeeze it and let it drip too. I tend to just leave it in though. It's just as hard when cooled with it in there. icon_smile.gif

sister340 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sister340 Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 2:58pm
post #9 of 10

I was pleasantly surprised to find what the chocolate was like the next day. I just put the greasy ball in a baggie over night and the next day, no grease! I was really pleased and amazed. Its been working well, I have made half of my scrolls and they are drying. I am planning to use edible glue to paste them on the cake. Sure hope this works well, and so does the bride.
j.

FromScratch Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 9:56pm
post #10 of 10

Awesome! Can't wait to see the cake. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%