How Long Can You Freeze A Cake?

Decorating By Ladybug09 Updated 6 Dec 2009 , 5:33am by MrsNancyB1

Ladybug09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladybug09 Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 8:24pm
post #1 of 5

I have multiple cake orders coming up, in a 2-3 week time period. This is our first time having to do multiple cakes & I'm a little nervous.
How long can you freeze an undecorated cake & what is the freezing & defrosting process?
I have read that you should freeze the cake shortly after it comes out of the oven, which will retain moisture. True?
TIA!

4 replies
cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 8:49pm
post #2 of 5

I always freeze my cakes as per cakesdivine instructions. My family and inlaws all agree that they are more moist.

As soon as the cake is pulled from the oven, I do the "push down" method to level it, turn it onto foamcore with a sheet of Glad Press 'n Seal, wrap it up well, and into the freezer it goes. I've only frozen them for 1-3 days for cakes I'm making for friends or family.

I've had leftover cakes that were frozen longer I thawed and iced for hubby and he said they were just as good. If it's a leftover that I'll be saving for him, once frozen, I wrap it better with saran wrap. *But I freeze them in a deep freeze, manual defrost - so I don't know if that makes a difference.

A few hours before you're ready to decorate, set it on the counter to thaw. The condensation will be on the outside of the wrappings as it thaws. I don't usually thaw it completely, though other's due. Personally I find them easier to handle when slightly frozen/very cold still.

Hope that helps! Good luck icon_smile.gif

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 8:52pm
post #3 of 5

I have eaten cake that was frozen for more than a year on several occasions. As long as it's wrapped properly, it tastes great--you'd never know it had been frozen.

Because you should never put hot things in the freezer (it will partially thaw everything around it, causing the other things in the freezer to sit in the danger zone for longer than is safe), always cool cakes completely to room temp prior to freezing or refrigerating. Wrap uniced cakes in 2 layers of plastic wrap and then a layer of foil.

When thawing, you can unwrap and then thaw or thaw then unwrap, either is fine.

Ladybug09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladybug09 Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 5:22am
post #4 of 5

Thank you so much!

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 5:33am
post #5 of 5

If it's a cake I will be making for my own family, then I would comfortably use a cake that was frozen for a year. If it were a cake I was making for someone who wasn't family, I would only use cake that was in the freezer within 3 months.

HTH.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%