General Question About Fondant

Decorating By Ashley0415 Updated 5 Dec 2009 , 10:57pm by cownsj

Ashley0415 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashley0415 Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 7:06am
post #1 of 10

1. When I wrap my cake in fondant.. should the cake board that it sits on be a little smaller in circumference? Sometimes when I wrap the cake you can still see some board hanging over.. and though I usually just put a border, this one wont have a border on the bottom.

2. How do I tackle covering my cake board in fondant? I tried this once.. and I was clearly messing something up.. because the fondant wasnt sticking to the board.. I think I actually tried folding the fondant UNDER the board.. lol like i was tucking in sheets. (Im definitely a beginner).. any suggestions on that??

9 replies
aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 7:21am
post #2 of 10

hello ashley and welcome to CC.
i agree the cake board should be a bit smaller so you can make a clean neat covering.
you can try adding alittle RI or gumpaste glue to get your fondant to stick to your cake board. thats what i use. i mainly use the gumpaste glue but ive heard people on here do use RI.
HTH

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 8:03am
post #3 of 10

by gumpaste glue, do you mean disolve gumpaste in a bit of water?

aundrea Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 8:09am
post #4 of 10

yes. i find that works for me. RI is good too, but i find if it hardens before i can manoover my fondant to the exact way i like it, then i have to start all over again. so ive been using gumpaste glue.
i also use press-n-seal to cover my foam core and i think the gumpaste glue adhears better to the press-n-seal.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 8:17am
post #5 of 10

I don't cover the bottom board with any kind of wrap, just roll the fondant directly onto it. It sticks itself down really well. I use the rolling pin to go past the edge of the board and that cuts the fondant off around the edges, then I glue a ribbon around the side of the board.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 8:42am
post #6 of 10

I never cover with plastic wrap for fear of someone getting a small piece across their wind pipe and asphyxiating....

aundrea Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 8:59am
post #7 of 10

i was under the impression the OP might be using a reusable cake board so i find it easier for me to use press-n-seal prior to adding the fondant so it doesnt ruin the cake board. i also cover all my foam core with it.
i know its food safe and it smooths out very nicely.
maybe i mis understood.

CandyCU Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyCU Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 9:18am
post #8 of 10

Hi Ashley,

1. I usually use the same size board as cake tin (ie. 8" tin = 8" underboard) - the cake usually shrinks a little, so after ganaching and covering in fondant it comes back up to size (or bigger) - so you don't see any board.
2. When covering my cake boards with fondant I use a damp chux to dampen the board and the fondant sticks really well - I roll the fondant really thin, slide both hands/forearms (carefully) under and lift onto the damp board, then use a smoother to smooth it all out, cut away excess fondant around edges, smooth edges with smoother then set aside to dry.

I hope this helps! I still classify myself as a newbie, but that's what makes it all fun, learning sooooo much each time I do a cake!

Ashley0415 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashley0415 Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 10:25pm
post #9 of 10

Thank you all so much for the help! I have actually done a couple cakes.. but I never seem to have a good camera handy to take good pictures.. they are all cell phone photos. I'll make sure I have a good pic to post when this cake is done.. thanks again for all the help!

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 10:57pm
post #10 of 10

When I want to cover a cake board with fondant I first roll out my fondant. Then I rub piping gel onto my cake board, on the side and about an inch in the back side of it. I put the cake board, gel side down, onto the fondant then cut the fondant just large enough to wrap around to the bottom of the board. I let the fondant covered board sit on anything that is a little smaller than it is so that the fondant, top and bottom, can set up and dry completely. (I do work to thin the fondant that is on the bottom of the board, just blend it a tiny bit)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%