Cakes With Circle Cutouts On Them

Decorating By Ashley0415 Updated 3 Dec 2009 , 11:28pm by madgeowens

Ashley0415 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashley0415 Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 9:30am
post #1 of 10

I hope this isnt a dumb question but:

I am making a two tiered fondant cake similar to the one on http://www.carlosbakery.com/SpecialtyCakes/BoyBook.php and its BB28. (sorry, cant copy the photo to show)..

Whats the easiest way to transfer the variety of circle shapes onto the fondant? I attempted this once, and when I pick up the circle cutouts to put on the cake, they dont hold their shape... specifically the bigger circles or the circles that are hollowed out on the middle.. just not sure how to attack this problem.. thank you advance for the help![/url]

9 replies
marion123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marion123 Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 11:37am
post #2 of 10

Morning.. Is yuor Fondant thick enough when you are rolling it out and then using your cut out's? I had that problem and I was making my fondant so thin. Also.. I put my Fodant assecnts a few days before hand and lay them on a cookie tray that is coverd with wax paper and shotrning and then I let them sit there for a few days, so when I'm doing my cake, I just lift them up with a metal spachler (SP) and put them on the cake.
Hope that helps?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 12:05pm
post #3 of 10

Let the cutouts dry for a little while before you try to pick them up. Not long enough to get hard, because they have to be able to bend to fit the curve of the cake, but just for a little while.

Ashley0415 Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 5:05pm
post #4 of 10

Letting them dry is something I never thought of.. duh! Thank you so much! When I do go to add them to my cake surface, whats the best method to use to get them to stick? I was using water before, but sometimes it drips.. and then I saw someone using a buttercream to stick them on.

Ashley0415 Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 5:09pm
post #5 of 10

oh! one more question.. I recently read that rolling the fondant with powdered sugar underneath isnt the best option? What do you guys recommend? I never have a problem with it using white colored fondant, but this particular cake will be turquoise.. and the ps seems to alter the color of the fondant and leave blotches..

thanks again!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 5:14pm
post #6 of 10

If you're sticking them to buttercream, then use a little buttercream as glue. If you're putting them on fondant, use tylose mixed with water or meringue powder mixed with water. Just use a tiny bit, not enough to drip. You could use royal icing too but a little tylose mixed with water really works the best.

About rolling it out, I use cornstarch, but I roll the fondant on a vinyl mat and it doesn't take very much cornstarch at all to keep it from sticking. After it's rolled out big enough, rub your hands over the top surface to get the excess cornstarch off.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 5:16pm
post #7 of 10

http://www.artdiscount.co.uk/images/product/water_pen1229961311_570.jpg My best friend when applying details that need to stick to fondant. Water pen-slight squeeze, brush is dampened, then brush the back of your accent piece.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 5:31pm
post #8 of 10

I cut those a wee bit thicker and use a paint brush with a dab of water and they stick fine.hth

Ashley0415 Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 11:19pm
post #9 of 10

Thank you so much again.. I have the meringue powder so I will try that.. sounds much better than just water.. and it will be going on fondant.

I keep thinking of a million questions now!

1. When I wrap my cake in fondant.. should the cake board that it sits on be a little smaller in circumference? Sometimes when I wrap the cake you can still see some board hanging over.. and though I usually just put a border, this one wont have a border on the bottom.

2. How do I tackle covering my cake board in fondant? I tried this once.. and I was clearly messing something up.. because the fondant wasnt sticking to the board.. I think I actually tried folding the fondant UNDER the board.. lol, like i was tucking in sheets. (Im definitely a beginner).. any suggestions on that??

thanks so much! I cant believe how many people responded

Have a great day!

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 11:28pm
post #10 of 10

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1363456

just water used on this......tiny amt....not running all over hth

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%