Marshmallow Fondant Questions

Decorating By piphidavis Updated 3 Dec 2009 , 1:39pm by piphidavis

piphidavis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
piphidavis Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 3:05am
post #1 of 11

I have been using Wilton's fondant but have had a terrible time of it cracking. I got an mmf recipe off this site that I tested on my family for Thanksgiving. It tasted great but as the cake sat on the dessert table air bubbles formed between the cake and fondant. Air pockets were pretty sizeable. I had to pull the fondant away from the cake and restretch/smooth. They started to come back again but we served them so I did not get to see what else would happen. Any reason why this would have happened? Also, does mmf dry hard enough to make a box with it?

Thanks for the help!
Teri

10 replies
andlydle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andlydle Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 3:26am
post #2 of 11

i've heard poking the air bubbles with a pin helps.

piphidavis Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 3:27am
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by andlydle

i've heard poking the air bubbles with a pin helps.

I never had the air bubbles with the Wilton fondant. Is this common with marshmallow?

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 3:40am
post #4 of 11

some one in here called them fondant farts haha....good explanation ....its air pockets, and I think you can poke them with a pin and smooth it out but thats all I know

milmil95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milmil95 Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 3:43am
post #5 of 11

I've been using MMF on my cakes and haven't had this problem with it.
I did have this problem when I was using Wilton fondant, but a couple of tips I got from CC helped me a lot. icon_biggrin.gif
Before putting the fondant on I chill the cake for a couple of hours, after giving the cake a smooth but thin coat of butter cream.
I have a much easier time putting fondant on the cold cake than a room temp one. I use a fondant smoother for the top and sides as I apply it to the cake. This will work out the any air that gets trapped under the fondant when applying it. HTH!!

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 3:43am
post #6 of 11

The only time I've gotten airpockets is when I'm covering a really cold cake with mmf.
I just smooth them down and out the bottom with my hands or a smoother. But if they are stubborn you can use a pin and prick a tiny hole and push the air out.

\\Was the cake cold when you covered it?

MMF will dry hard, it takes a few days but I would suggest a 50/50 mix of fondant and gumpaste or adding so tylose to it to make it dry harder and faster.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 4:08am
post #7 of 11

What usually happens, is you smooth out the top, and don't take too much time with the edges. So later, when doing final smoothing, all these bubbles are appearing out of thin air. When you lay the fondant on the chilled cake, lift it up and smooth from the middle out, spin the cake a couple times, repeat, so you know for a fact there are no air bubbles on top or near the edge. Then, before you start smoothing it down the sides, go around the edges reallllllly well, then proceed to smooth down the cake. I do it in almost a spiral pattern, so I know I haven't missed anything.

andlydle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andlydle Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 4:50am
post #8 of 11

i just learned the pin thing in my class, but i've never had the problem-

MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 5:19am
post #9 of 11

Thank you, Jamie, for sharing your detailed smoothing tips with us. I experienced some air bubbles on my last MMF cake. I just stuck a tiny pin in them and smoothed over. But next time, I'm definitely trying your way! icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 5:56am
post #10 of 11

You're welcome! Truly, most air bubbles come about from the edges not getting enough attention before tackling the sides.

piphidavis Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 1:39pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks everyone this really helps. I am learning so much from this site and LOVE to look at all of the photos of your work.

Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%