Help, What Am I Doing Wrong?

Baking By thin4life Updated 3 Dec 2009 , 11:32pm by prterrell

thin4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thin4life Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 9:48pm
post #1 of 9

I am in the process of baking cutouts. I have used the NFSC recipe for years and it always turns out. The last two time I made it my cookies are spreading. I am not doing anything different. What might cause this, can anyone shed some light on this problem?

8 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 9:51pm
post #2 of 9

Are you using the exact same ingredients?
How thick are you rolling the dough?
Is the dough chilled still when placed in oven?
Are you placing the cookies on warm cookie sheets or are they cooled completely first?
How old is your baking powder?

thin4life Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 4:11am
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

Are you using the exact same ingredients?
How thick are you rolling the dough?
Is the dough chilled still when placed in oven?
Are you placing the cookies on warm cookie sheets or are they cooled completely first?
How old is your baking powder?

I am using the same ingredients, rolling dough the usual thickness. I am not placing them on a hot or warm cookie sheet and my baking powder is fresh. Any other things that may cause this?

ljdills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljdills Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 4:25am
post #4 of 9

Do you have a thermometer in your oven to make sure that your oven temperature is correct?

thin4life Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 4:34am
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljdills

Do you have a thermometer in your oven to make sure that your oven temperature is correct?

Yes I do, but my oven doesn't heat properly, it is hard to keep it at a steady temp. Could that be the problem? The only thing though is I have had problems with my oven for quite some time and this never happened before. I am just beside my self, my Christmas cookies look like crap!

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 1:17pm
post #6 of 9

Major bummer for you, you have my sympathies! I'm guessing the oven is the problem. Even though you've been able to use it without troubles before, it may be acting up differently than in the past. My only advice is to re-cut the cookies with the cutters as soon as they come out of the oven. You'll have to deal with more crumbs, but at least the shape should be what you want.

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 5:48pm
post #7 of 9

I posted something like this just last week! I was having some MAJOR problems with spreading with my NFSC, even though I had used it a gajillion times.

I ended up adding a lot more flour than I normally would, and they stopped spreading AS MUCH, but they did spread a little still.

Icing2009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Icing2009 Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 6:44pm
post #8 of 9

check your heating element on your oven. it only costs about $30-40 to repair depending on your oven. It's very simple and easy to fix, I did it myself on my oven and I am no electrician at all. So fix that and see if your oven stays at a steady temp. It happened to me when I was about to start my mother-in-laws nice big bday cake and had no time for bad things to happen and it did that's for sure. So fix that and it will probably help alot. Let me know if you get it fixed, don't have a repair guy do it, it's so simple and you don't want to pay that much money for it. Good luck and let me know how everything turns out!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 11:32pm
post #9 of 9

Yeah, sounds like the oven is the culprit.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%