How To Attach Sugar Sparkles

Decorating By j_arney Updated 2 Dec 2009 , 6:10pm by __Jamie__

j_arney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j_arney Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 5:56pm
post #1 of 6

Does anyone here have experience with covering a cake in sugar sparkles? I saw this picture and I wanted to do it on a 4" round. Sounds easy enough, but what do I use to attach the sparkles? Thanks!!
LL
LL

5 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 6:00pm
post #2 of 6

Fondant covered? Or BC? Fondant-brush a very light thin layer of thinned down piping gel (piping gel with warm water) Then toss it on, drizzle it from a large sppon.

BC-before it crusts, if you use a crusting BC, I pour a crap load around the botom of each tier and gently pull it up the side of the cake with a pallete knife, taking care nt to dig into the icing or jam the sugar into the icing. Gently whisk away the leftovers into a bowl and start on the next tier.

__Jamie__ Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 6:01pm
post #3 of 6

Oh ya know....if this is a litle teeny 4 incher, chill that sucker till it's hard, and just roll it around in a pile of sugar. That's your best bet.

jjkarm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjkarm Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 6:05pm
post #4 of 6

I use corn syrup. Just thin it down a tiny bit with water then brush it over the fondant.... the sugar adheres well and it works great!

j_arney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j_arney Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 6:07pm
post #5 of 6

_Jamie_: I can really just roll it in sugar if it's cold? I was planning on doing fondant. That seems easy enough!

__Jamie__ Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 6:10pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_arney

_Jamie_: I can really just roll it in sugar if it's cold? I was planning on doing fondant. That seems easy enough!

Heck yeah! If it's cold enough where you can pick it up? Sure. Brush it with whatever sticky stuff you want, and roll it around.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%