Damn Fondant Wrinkles!!!

Decorating By lOIDA Updated 5 Dec 2009 , 2:58am by JenniferMI

lOIDA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lOIDA Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 4:19pm
post #1 of 6

I don't know what's wrong with me? the first coupld of cakes I covered in fondant looked smoother than the last ones I've been doing?!? I'm using the same everything... are there any tricks to get fondant to NOT wrinkle (at the bottom, when it gets to the board)... how can I make my fondant SMOOOOOOOOOOTH!?

5 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 4:29pm
post #2 of 6

This is the trick that I use: put the cake on a board the exact size of the cake, then set it on something smaller than the cake board, for example an upside-down cake pan of a smaller diameter or a coffee can. Then put the fondant on, and any wrinkles that form will form down below the cake. Cut off any big excess with kitchen shears and then smooth the cake and use the kitchen shears to trim the fondant just below the cake board. Then put the whole thing on a bigger, decorated board.

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 4:53pm
post #3 of 6

Also, roll your fondant out to be larger than the actual circle you require for your cake. If it hangs below, like Texas_Rose described, it's MUCH easier to smoothe out than if it just barely hits the cakeboard.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 9:33pm
post #4 of 6

Those wrinkles are definitely the sucky part of cake making! I also put a very thin layer of buttercream on the cake.

cdgleason Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdgleason Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 6:24pm
post #5 of 6

I also use a smaller pan under the cake when I am placing the fondant on the cake!
I just bought a DVD that has helped me more than I ever thought it would.
It's by Jennifer Dontz and it's all about covering cakes in fondant .... anyway, she has a recipe for adding a melted white chocolate and corn syrup to store bought fondant... then she goes over the entire process of covering the cake! I don't EVER spend 30 dollars on DVD's when I can get so much information on Cake Central AND even YOUTUBE.... but in this case it was well worth it!

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 2:58am
post #6 of 6

CD - I'm THRILLED you enjoyed the DVD!

Jen icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%