Painting On Fondant

Decorating By Joanne1944 Updated 26 Jan 2010 , 3:43pm by TexasSugar

Joanne1944 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joanne1944 Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 9:50pm
post #1 of 7

What is the best way to paint on fondant. I want to paint some big flowers and leaves. What should I use for paint? Should I use a stencil>

I have seen some of the Colette cakes that are painted in multi colors. Is this done the same way?

Thanks for any help you can give me
Joanne

6 replies
Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 10:15pm
post #2 of 7
sweet-n-sassy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet-n-sassy Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 6:36pm
post #3 of 7

the best thing to use would be powdered food colors mixed with some kind of alchol, either vodka or an extract with a lot of alchol in it. water will melt the fondant and make it sticky, but the alcohol evaporates off and leaves the color on. using the stencil is up to you, just depends on how confident you are in your free hand.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 7:25pm
post #4 of 7

I love airbrush colors for painting. They are already thinned down. :O)

Amburly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amburly Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 3:02am
post #5 of 7

Do you add alcohol to the airbrush paint too? The reason I am asking is because I have a cake to do in a few weeks that calls for a lot of detail. They are wanting bible verses, crosses, hunting and fishing and a flag on this 3 tired cake, and I was wondering if just painting the things on there would be the best way to go. I have never done this before. I haven't been on in a while, I have been focusing on graduating from Culinary School, and I am trying to put myself back out there.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!!!

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 3:16am
post #6 of 7

You can also mix some gel or paste colors with some melted cocoa butter. I think Marsha Winbeckler does it that way if I'm not mistaken. She does mainly painting with chocolate and cocoa but I would think that her process would work with gel colors.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 3:43pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amburly

Do you add alcohol to the airbrush paint too?

No. That is the great thing about the airbrush paint. It is already in liquid form, so there is no need to add anything to thin it down.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%