Silver Fondant?

Decorating By TPACakeGirl Updated 1 Dec 2009 , 6:29pm by emiyeric

TPACakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TPACakeGirl Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 4:33pm
post #1 of 5

How could I give fondant a silver/chrome look without an airbrust machine?

4 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 4:38pm
post #2 of 5

colour it grey, then paint it silver (can buy silver pain, airbrush paint, or mix lustre dust and alcohol - vodka or extracts are popular). you can also use the dusts dry for a diferent, less intense looks.
xx

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 4:49pm
post #3 of 5

If you're strapped for time, you can actually get a great silver color with the vodka/luster dust that brincess_b described over your plain old white fondant, no previous coloring needed. On my Coach bag in my pictures, I used both white and black fondant as a base for some of the silver accessories, and it worked great. Good luck!

TPACakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TPACakeGirl Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 5:45pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you both. I have silver luster dust and vanilla at home. How much do I mix of each? How long does it take to dry? I don't need a lot of silver. Just enough do the accents on a firetruck.

Thanks.

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 6:29pm
post #5 of 5

I usually first pour the extract - just a few drops!!! You'll be amazed by how far just a little bit goes, and I hate to waste liquid or dust by trying to make too much. Then just sprinkle a small amount of your luster dust (to give you an idea, that itty bitty canister you have will last for a good many cakes, even if you're putting silver accents on every one of them). Mix it and see what your consistency is like, and add more as you need it, but always start out with the extract so you don't start out with the right amount of dust and add way too much extract and then have to waste dust trying to make it look right ... does that make sense? If you're just brushing on small accents, you can certainly do it right on the cake ... I usually decorate the accents first and let them dry overnight (though they really only need a few hours) and then apply them to my cake. HTH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%