Dumb Question About Snow And Ice

Lounge By Texas_Rose Updated 1 Dec 2009 , 11:54pm by Kiddiekakes

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 12:45am
post #1 of 16

You're going to laugh at me!

It doesn't snow here. Ever. Not enough to count. But there are a few days every year when the steps and sidewalk get a coating of ice that's too slippery to walk on. I don't know what to put on the sidewalk to melt the ice or keep us from falling, but I want to buy some so I'm prepared.

Is it sand or salt or what?

15 replies
jaybug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaybug Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 1:18am
post #2 of 16

Salt will do the trick! thumbs_up.gif

jaybug Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 1:19am
post #3 of 16

Salt will do the trick! thumbs_up.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 1:21am
post #4 of 16

Like the kind for water softeners?

jaybug Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 1:27am
post #5 of 16

Not sure, but I think it would work. We don't get much of the ice or snow either, but sometimes enough to make you slide down the steps. We usually use regular table salt. It melts it as soon as you pour it on.

Texas_Rose Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 1:30am
post #6 of 16

Thanks!

That's what I'm afraid of, the sliding down the steps thing. I broke my leg in February falling in the mud and I'm not planning to ever fall down again...but I'll have to get my kids to school even if the steps have ice.

If I buy a big old bag of salt then it will guarantee we don't get any ice this winter icon_biggrin.gif

Darth_Aerdna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darth_Aerdna Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 1:31am
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Like the kind for water softeners?

You want to get something called ice melt or if you cant find that rock salt will work- like the same thing you would use in an crank ice cream maker.

I am not sure is the salt used for water softeners is the same- but even table salt will do the job in a pinch.

If you cannot find some sort of salt to use, sand will help with traction, but it will not melt the ice. HTH!

We should be getting some ice and snow anytime now up here in New England

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 1:31am
post #8 of 16

Yeah, I use table salt and it does melt the ice and last for most of day.

tigerhawk83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigerhawk83 Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 3:16pm
post #9 of 16

I live in Iowa where we have LOTS of both - I use a sand and salt mix. Salt melts the ice but sand gives you instant traction.

Look in your local hardware store - there are chemical ice melts that are not 100% salt so work faster and not as hard on the lawn. You can buy tubes of sand there too - it's rocky not like sandbox sand but much cheaper. I usually use about 3-4 parts sand to 1 part salt.

In a pinch - kitty litter sprinkled on ice will give you traction so you don't slip. We carry it in our cars so if we get stuck, have something to help the tires grab.

SuzyNoQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuzyNoQ Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 3:56pm
post #10 of 16

Rock salt, you should be able to get it at hardware stores, home improvement stores, Walmart, and possiblly convience stores.

sherrycanary62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherrycanary62 Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 7:09pm
post #11 of 16

Road Runner Ice melt

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=300052-10611-20B-MAG&lpage=none

10.00 for a 20lb bag...that should last you a while since its only a few days a year...and its pet friendly

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 7:12pm
post #12 of 16

Hey you are asking the queen of snow here or at least up here in Canada..We get snow all the time every year every winter...Ice melt is the best but if you don't have any regular table salt will work in a pinch but be sure to sweep it off the concrete after the ice melts and the sidewalk dries or it will corrode the concrete.Fine granulated sand will work as well.Thinking of which we just had a snow storm last night..HO!HO!HO!

Texas_Rose Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 9:23pm
post #13 of 16

I'll have to see if they have ice melt at the hardware store here. Some years the stores don't even get the ice scrapers for the car's windshield. It's just not something San Antonio plans for.

I'm not too worried about the lawn...I live in a ghetto apartment complex and we haven't had real grass outside for about 5 years, just weeds icon_biggrin.gif

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 9:26pm
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

Hey you are asking the queen of snow here or at least up here in Canada..We get snow all the time every year every winter...Ice melt is the best but if you don't have any regular table salt will work in a pinch but be sure to sweep it off the concrete after the ice melts and the sidewalk dries or it will corrode the concrete.Fine granulated sand will work as well.Thinking of which we just had a snow storm last night..HO!HO!HO!

Salt is great except for the corrosion problem, in states that use salt on the road the cars rust much faster than in states that sand. If you live in a rented home make sure that your landlord approves of the use of salt before you use it. If it's going to get above freezing later that day you might be best to just use sand for a little traction, it won't be like the ice is just getting thicker each day anyway.

We just got snow last night too. icon_cry.gif I can't complain too much, we have had a really warm fall, it's been in the 40s and 50s except for a brief bit of snow in early October and we normally have snow staying on the ground from Halloween at the latest.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 10:18pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

Heh, I was about to post exactly the same answer, Laurel!! That snow last night was pretty intense for a while!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 11:54pm
post #16 of 16

Yeah..we were sitting eating supper and you couldn't see the neighbors house across the alley..Friday was really bad too!! We were supposed to take my son to Karate down the street but there was an accident..someone smoked parked cars on the main drive or in someone's driveway so hubby said let's stay home!!We ordered pizza and watched the Flames game!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%