Mmf Without Using A Microwave?

Baking By windycitybaker Updated 1 Dec 2009 , 5:16am by caseyhayes

windycitybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
windycitybaker Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 3:10am
post #1 of 16

All the recipes I've seen for MMF include using a microwave, which I don't have. Any ideas for me?

15 replies
lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 3:26pm
post #2 of 16

You can use a double boiler, be sure you grease the insert well. It'll make a mess (MMF always does) but you should be able to make it work. (The usual thing with a double boiler is to not let the boiling water touch the bottom of the insert.) Let me know how it goes.

windycitybaker Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 9:25pm
post #3 of 16

I'll bet it does make a mess! Probably kind of like when you melt marshmallows to make Rice Krispie treats!! But at least all the sugar dissolves when you soak the pan in water.... I'll try to remember to report back after I try it in the double boiler.

lapazlady Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 11:28pm
post #4 of 16

Marshmellows are sticky, for sure. I look forward to hearing how you did. As an excellent substitute for MMF you might try Michelle Foster's fondant. It really is easy to make (no microwave required) and wonderful to work with.

windycitybaker Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 11:40pm
post #5 of 16

Michelle's was one of the ones I looked at, and it does use a microwave.

ailika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ailika Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 11:41pm
post #6 of 16

I agree with lapazlady you can use a double boiler, although my friend told me she did hers like this & didn't have to grease the pan at all which I highly doubt because like you said MM is sticky

caseyhayes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caseyhayes Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 11:46pm
post #7 of 16

My MMF recipe calls for a microwave also, I don't have one for healthy reasons, sooooo I have a non stick deep pot that I grease down with crisco. I put on medium heat and stir until marshmallow's are melted. I use my standup mixer so I also grease my bowl before hand and put most of my PS in and make a big hole to pour the melted mixture into. I've never had a problem.

lapazlady Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 11:47pm
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by windycitybaker

Michelle's was one of the ones I looked at, and it does use a microwave.

Find "Michele Foster's Delicious Fondant", no microwave needed. A sauce pan (or double boiler), and good mixer, oh and arms to knead it. Easy, fast, and most people like it.

ailika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ailika Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 11:49pm
post #9 of 16

I also grease everything that the MM will be touching caseyhayes, I too use a KA to make the fondant just love the KA icon_biggrin.gif

caseyhayes Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 11:55pm
post #10 of 16

Only wish I'd listen to my DH when he recommended getting the super duty KA. I couldn't bear the price so I settled instead for a HB Eclectrics. It's never given me a prob but from all I hear it dosen't hold a candle to a KA. Let alone the big one!!!! I never thought I'd be making this many cakes!!!!

lapazlady Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 12:04am
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyhayes

Only wish I'd listen to my DH when he recommended getting the super duty KA. I couldn't bear the price so I settled instead for a HB Eclectrics. It's never given me a prob but from all I hear it dosen't hold a candle to a KA. Let alone the big one!!!! I never thought I'd be making this many cakes!!!!

Maybe you could have a talk with Santa, 'tis the season.

Newbieone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Newbieone Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 12:21am
post #12 of 16

How come no one uses the "easy mmf" that uses marshmallow fluff? I've used it twice now with no issues....I guess maybe it might be a little shinier than the regular....I guess....but it works and looks good.

LisaMaeCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMaeCakes Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 12:23am
post #13 of 16

I have a Cuisinart 7 quart mixer.(Works w/KA also as I had one before getting the Cuisinart). This is what I do sometimes to save on mess and would work for you.....Get a big pot (like a stock pot or whatever your mixer bowl will fit in) Put water in pot about 2-3". Sit your mixer bowl down in. Greased of course. Put in your marshmallows. Turn the heat on med low to med. Stir every so often. After it's all melted, take out of the water and put on the mixer and finish it up. So easy and cuts down on lots of mess. I promise!!

AngelaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelaM Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 12:31am
post #14 of 16

This CC recipe does not use a microwave, it uses the marshmallow fluff. I haven't tried it but have it saved in my favorites to try sometime.

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2148/easy-marshmallow-fondant

Kate714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kate714 Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 12:32am
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbieone

How come no one uses the "easy mmf" that uses marshmallow fluff? I've used it twice now with no issues....I guess maybe it might be a little shinier than the regular....I guess....but it works and looks good.

In some parts of the U.S. (and I assume other countries), marshmallow fluff is not available. We have it here in New England, but I know for a fact that it's not available in CA icon_confused.gif

caseyhayes Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 5:16am
post #16 of 16

Maybe you could have a talk with Santa, 'tis the season.[/quote]

Now you've got an idea there!!! The mixer bowl in the water thing sounds like a winner!!! I'll have to try that one!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%