Topsy-Turvy Cake

Decorating By Cher2309b Updated 24 Nov 2009 , 7:21pm by Cher2309b

Cher2309b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cher2309b Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 12:24am
post #1 of 6

I have a few queries re my FIRST topsy-turvy cake and would love some guidance please.
1. I have baked 2 X 25cm round chocolate mud cakes to layer for the bottom/largest tier. Each of these cakes is only 6cm high before carving; do I need a third layer? (I'm using the stacking method where you cut a flat platform into the two lower tiers to stack; so some of the height of the two upper cakes will disappear inside the lower cakes.)
2. The cake is due in three weeks; I need to allow plenty of time for the various stages and to fix things that may go wrong. I'm sandwiching layers with chocolate ganache; is it OK to freeze the sandwiched cakes for carving? Can I then re-freeze them prior to icing and decorating?
3. I will need a few days for icing with ganache and fondant (perhaps two layers if not smooth enough) and for stacking and decorating. Since I cannot refrigerate the cake once I have applied fondant, will the ganache be OK when the cake is left out?
I eagerly await guidance. Thanks,
Cher

5 replies
Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 3:23am
post #2 of 6

1. Can't help you with that because we don't use a wedge.
2. We don't freeze anything, so I don't think I could be of help here, either.
3. The ganache will be fine to be left out.

Paul

Cher2309b Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 11:20am
post #3 of 6

Thank you for your advice Paul; that's one problem out of the way.
One down, two to go.
All the best,
Cher

scgriffiths Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scgriffiths Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 12:12pm
post #4 of 6

I recently did this my first topsy-turvy. Each tier had 2 cakes, each exactly 6cm high. They were 11in, 9in, and 7inchest at their widest points, so that will give you an idea of the dimensions to see whether the height is what you have in mind. HTH

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1516034

Cher2309b Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 6:34pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you; that's very helpful. I love your cake and the proportions are perfect. Actually, I've already made a third cake for the bottom layer and I'm working my way through the other layers. I guess it's trial and error to some extent - hope not too much error. If my cake looks half as lovely as yours I will be thrilled.
Regards,
Cher

Cher2309b Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 7:21pm
post #6 of 6

Another question re topsy-turvy cakes: How do you slice them to serve? I will now have at least 7 cakes, each attached to a cake card, some half buried in the tier below. It's going to be quite a demolition job to separate and cut them. I guess some of the lower slices will be pretty unattractive with no fondant on top and the cake card pulled off the ganache.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%