Food Handlers Safety...

Decorating By PennySue Updated 24 Nov 2009 , 7:05pm by dstbni

PennySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennySue Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 7:17pm
post #1 of 6

I'm currently taking the Food Handlers Safety course from this site in order to work in my church's new commercial kitchen. I have learned so much from it and think that it would be a great help to anyone cooking for others, whether it be for family or for customers. The site is...

http://www.onlineinstituteofamerica.com/

It is only $15.00 Well worth it when it comes to understanding food safety issues.

5 replies
MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 8:19pm
post #2 of 6

I don't want to start a debate at all, but I noticed that you're in SoCal. I'm also in SoCal (Los Angeles county) and have recently found out that it is now illegal to share any commercial kitchen. The only way to sell cakes professionally is by having your own business. It could vary from county to county, but I just thought I'd put a little more information out there for you.

Here is a thread I started about this:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=654598&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

Again, not starting a debate. icon_smile.gif

PennySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennySue Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 4:58am
post #3 of 6

Oh dear, I guess I wasn't clear in my post. I'm not sharing or using the kitchen to bake in. I'm going to be overseeing the use of it during the day (since I'm not working) and had to take this course in order to be up to speed. I only suggested it here as a means of keeping current with proper food handling techniques and practices. It never hurts to brush up on this and after taking it, it makes one very, very aware of dangerous practices. That's all. No breaking of the law here!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 6:35pm
post #4 of 6

I think food handling could be beneficial to anyone, not just someone working in a bakery or such. I've never taken one, but I bet we'd all be surprised by things we practice at home that could be unsafe for our families.

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 6:41pm
post #5 of 6

thank you for sharing

dstbni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dstbni Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 7:05pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the tip! It also looks like their ServSafe prep class is cheaper than the one offered by my local college, so that's neat too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%