Do I Dare Venture Into Weddings?

Decorating By amberkw Updated 24 Nov 2009 , 3:43am by JanH

amberkw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberkw Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 3:05pm
post #1 of 7

SO I haven't done a wedding cake, YET. I have been asked a few times and am very hesitant about it. I just haven't wanted to deal w/ the drama, and have the fear of screwing up someone's biggest day of their lives. For some reason it actually seems like it would be easier than some of the cakes I have done. My DH seems to think the same thing and has faith I could do it. Will someone please look at my gallery of cakes and tell me what you think about my skills, and if the stress is worth it? Thanks to all who respond!

6 replies
MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 3:11pm
post #2 of 7

You have the skills.
You have a 3 tier stacked cake in your gallery. A wedding cake isn't any different. Most (98%) of the brides I have dealt, with have been really sweet...however, there was a momzilla once.
To me it isn't any different that a customer that complains and has buyer remorse.
You have the talent and the skills...DO IT!!!!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 3:28pm
post #3 of 7

OMG, do you have any idea how awesome it is to set up huge kick arse cakes at fancy venues?? It's addicting. Yes- gooooooo weddings!

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 3:38pm
post #4 of 7

Go for it... you're very talented.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 3:51pm
post #5 of 7

just remember though, that besides the skilz, you also need to be legal, licensed, inspected,insured, whatever your state and city requires. More and more venues are requiring a copy of your inspection permit/biz license and insurance. I always say that you have to have cojones . .uh . . nerves of steel to be in the wedding cake biz.

icon_smile.gif

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 5:41pm
post #6 of 7

Be upfront and honest with potential clients that you haven't done many/any wedding cakes as of yet. Absolutely show them what you have done so they will feel confident in you. When I first started out in weddings, I had lower rates then my competitors and explained the reason for my lower rates was because I had limited experience. Most were willing to go for it...they got a cake cheaper than a more experienced baker and I got to build my portfolio. It worked out great! They got cakes that I devoted ALOT of time into and everyone was pleased. Once I got enough under my belt to feel like I had the experience, I raised my rates to comparable rates in my area.
Also, being licensed and insured is VERY important to delivering wedding cakes. Many venues in my area asked to see my license before I was a "regular" delivering to their venue. And insurance is necessary because ALOT of people will be eating your cake.
Good luck to you and enjoy!! It is an awesome feeling to be part of a couple's special day ~ or to realize when your job is done ~ that a ton of people are enjoying a cake that you made!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 3:43am
post #7 of 7

Moving this from the business forum to cake decorating foru since OP is asking for feedback on her decorating skills.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%