Accents Sticking Out Of Fondant Cake With Wire?

Decorating By garden_frog Updated 23 Nov 2009 , 10:51pm by CakeMommyTX

garden_frog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
garden_frog Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 4:26pm
post #1 of 11

Hi, I apologize if this has been asked before, but I'm not sure what to call it so I don't know how to search for it. I've seen lots of cakes that have wires/sticks with fondant decorations sticking out of the top of the cake with fondant decorations on the top. Like these...

How do you do that? Everytime I've tried, the wire ends up ripping the fondant because the fondant and the cake isn't strong enough to hold it in place where I placed it. So I must be doing something wrong or missing a step but I'm not sure what.

Help!?

10 replies
kel58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kel58 Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 4:37pm
post #2 of 11

Place Small straws in the cake first then put the wires inside them. Its stops them from tearing the fondant and cake. Good luck

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 4:38pm
post #3 of 11

I use coffee stirrers to hold the wire.
The stirrer holds the wire in place and keeps it from touching the cake and ripping through it.

Colliegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Colliegirl Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 11:20pm
post #4 of 11

Had the same problem and now I know the answer to it. Thanks thumbs_up.gif

But attaching the fondant piece to the wire in the first place without it looking horrible at the back. Can anyone tell me how to do that? icon_confused.gif

Have tried making two pieces of fondant and sandwiching the wire in between the two with sugar glue or royal icing. Have tried rolling the fondant over the wire to get imbeded into the fondant. Have tried waiting till the fondant piece was dry and then attaching the wire with some royal icing on the back (not a nice look).

So whats the trick?? icon_eek.gif

Cheers Tina

CakeMommyTX Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 11:44pm
post #5 of 11

Heat the end of the wire with a lighter until it is hot,then carefully insert the wire into the fondant . The hot wire will melt the sugar and once the sugar cools and hardens it will glue itself to the wire.
Just be careful not to burn yourself or push the wire all the way thru the fondant .

martatru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
martatru Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 12:09am
post #6 of 11

My God you really learn in this Forum, things you would never think it could be done. thumbs_up.gif

MaryAllison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaryAllison Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 12:23am
post #7 of 11

I'm not a pro, but I've made the fondant accents thick enough to accommodate the wire/stick. I then immediately insert the wire/stick as soon as I have cut the fondant shape and allow to dry at least overnight. So far, so good. HTH!

Allison icon_smile.gif

garden_frog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
garden_frog Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 12:38am
post #8 of 11

Thanks so much!! Can't wait to try it on my daughter's cake this weekend!!

sherri-belle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherri-belle Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 12:52am
post #9 of 11

What is the best type of wire to use?

MaryAllison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaryAllison Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 12:57am
post #10 of 11

I've used several gauges. It all depends on the weight of the fondant/gumpaste accent.

CakeMommyTX Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 10:51pm
post #11 of 11

I use 20 gauge for just about everything.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%