Miss My Dad

Lounge By iceit4me Updated 27 Nov 2009 , 3:34pm by -K8memphis

iceit4me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iceit4me Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 1:44am
post #1 of 22

My father died from bladder cancer. Tomorrow it will be a year. I just miss him so much. There are things I need his advice on. I just wish he was still here. I love him soo much

21 replies
Memie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Memie Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 2:14am
post #2 of 22

I'm so sorry for your loss. Anniversaries and holidays are really hard. My thoughts and prayers are with you. (((HUGS)))

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 2:20am
post #3 of 22

(((HUGS)))

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 2:24am
post #4 of 22

sending (((HUGS))) your way

MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 2:30am
post #5 of 22

I miss mine too. He passed away 27 years ago and I still miss him.

iceit4me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iceit4me Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 2:38am
post #6 of 22

Thanks, its nice to know someone cares. Sorry to all those who lost their loved ones too.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 3:03am
post #7 of 22

It's horrible to lose our parents and I know exactly how you feel....I'm so sorry.

My Mom died in 2000 and my Dad in 2007 and there isn't one day that passes that I don't think of them or miss them.

Big ((((hugs)))) to you!!!!!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 3:11am
post #8 of 22

Yes, Big hugs!! The first year is especially tough.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 3:57am
post #9 of 22

I also lost my dad it will be a year ago December 28. I'm so glad we got to spend Christmas with him at least. My dad lived with me, so it has been difficult to think twice about not having to fix his dinner plate or not peeking in his room to see if he wants me to fix him a snack. I miss him too. My sympathies to you. Holidays and his birthday are going to be especially tough. His favorite was a DQ ice cream cake, so we got him one every year. He also liked his chocolates at Christmas time. My only advice I can give is, hold on to the good times. The things that made him smile, especially. And when you think of these you will smile as well. HUGS TO YOU.

FloraFlora Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FloraFlora Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 4:36pm
post #10 of 22

(((Hugs)))

No one can replace dad for advices. But if you search in your heart, you'll know that he taught you well, so the answer is right there waiting for you to discover.

ladyellam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyellam Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 5:19pm
post #11 of 22

I am so sorry. On Dec. 15th it will be 8 years since I lost my mom. I miss her everyday. It never gets easier it's just different. I try not to dwell on the day that she passed away on rather, I think of all the wonderful years I got to have with her.

Give yourself time and cry if you need to. Tell him you miss him--he loves you still and nothing, even death, will ever change that.

sherrycanary62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherrycanary62 Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 5:32pm
post #12 of 22

((((hugsssssss))))))

I lost my mom, a long time ago now, I was just barely out of my teens...I miss her still...missing them is a sweet tribute...it means they made an incredible difference (some parents don't ya know). I'm not gonna tell you you will get over it, but in time the pain gets easier. Someone is never really gone as long as there is someone to remember them.

(((((((((more hugs)))))))))))))

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 7:25pm
post #13 of 22

Hugs

I know exactly how you feel. It will be two years on Dec 22 that we lost my dad to pancreatic cancer. It is so very difficult around this time of year for me too. Just the thought of Christmas approaching brings back many sad memories and pain. I guess the only advise i can give you is to take it a day at a time and if you have siblings lean on them. I know in my family if one of us is having a bad day the others will pick them up.
I'm sorry to hear you lost your father too. There is never enough time is there? ;o( I dream of dad and wish he were here too. Things are just not the same anymore.

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 8:57pm
post #14 of 22

I lost my Dad Jan 3rd 1998 and I can honestly say it never gets any better, but it also doesnt get any worse either. My dad was a chef and he was my inspiration on doing cakes.

I totally get what you mean about needing and wanting his advice, I always went to my dad when ever I needed advice, what I do now is I talk to my Dad (not out load LOL) and ask his advice before I go to bed, and I find that the answer always comes to me in the morning or next day.

HTH and big hugs to you!

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 10:36pm
post #15 of 22

You're all very lucky that you had dads you loved and loved you back. Mine wasn't a dad like that. He died 7 years ago in a horribly traumatic way for us. I don't miss him at all. That's truly sad but true.

You're so lucky you had that kind of love from yours. I do feel that way about my mom though, and I'm very lucky I have her.

Jodie

Deb_ Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 11:34pm
post #16 of 22

Sorry Jodie....(((((((HUGS)))))) to you kiddo! icon_wink.gif

JodieF Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 12:14am
post #17 of 22

Deb...it's okay....really! We don't pick our parents. I have no regrets at this point. I look at it this way. He helped make me the person I am, and I LIKE the person I am. He was a very unhappy person and should never have married or had children. I'm not! I'm very blessed with a mother that's my best friend. My kids will never understand that kind of pain.

Now, it took me a lot of years to feel this way. I guess I just wanted to point out that, in a way, missing a dad that you loved and who loved you isn't the worst thing. At least there WAS that love!

Jodie

Deb_ Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 1:17am
post #18 of 22

You're a great kindhearted person and I LIKE you too! icon_wink.gif

JodieF Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 2:08am
post #19 of 22

awwwwww.....Deb........ Image

But PLEASE.....talk about your dads! I didn't mean to be a downer or make anyone think they shouldn't share their thoughts!

Jodie

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 6:26am
post #20 of 22

I still have both my parents but at 89 I know the day is coming soon when I will lose them.

I know how lucky I am cause even tho I'm 56 they are still the foundation that holds me together.

Heartfelt hugs to all you who have suffered this loss.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 11:54pm
post #21 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceit4me

My father died from bladder cancer. Tomorrow it will be a year. I just miss him so much. There are things I need his advice on. I just wish he was still here. I love him soo much

My dad died three weeks ago, today. My mom, sisters, and I were all with him when he died, and it was the most traumatic experience I've had. No way could I deal with the questions and condolences of my husband's relatives today, so I sent him and my sons to their house for Thanksgiving without me. Part of me feels terribly guilty, but the bigger part just couldn't handle the holiday so close to my dad's death.

I'm so sorry about your dad. I can sympathize with you, and send you hugs.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 3:34pm
post #22 of 22

I totally get y'all.

My Mom died seven years ago today on the calendar but in 2002 it was the day before Thanksgiving. So we were in that slow motion cloudy fish bowl atmosphere for that extra day of just like in that indescribable holding pattern zone due to the holiday before we could start the trip (TN to Chicago).

It's like you can see people's lips moving but you don't know why--like you figure they're talking to the person next to you but you can't figure out why they're looking at you. Reality is either way too real or doesn't exist anymore.

We had Thanksgiving at the Holiday Inn that year--it was a huge and nice spread, ice sculptures etc. but we were all just like on strings, suspended in air--you know what I mean.

So this year it hit me way worse than usual--I was a basket case--my big brother called me yesterday--I just lost it more--he had notified me that year but I already knew inside before the phone ever rang.

Whew--that was rough. But we survive huh. I don't think Christmas will be as bad for me--but when it's the first holiday without a loved one it sting sting stings. But it will be ok.

I'm gonna babble another minute--we had a lovely lovely invitation yesterday for which I am sincerly and utterly grateful. But I think I should have made myself be busier somehow--I think the cooking and planning help you not have enough time to think as much.

Just a thought.

signed,
member of the club nobody wanted to join

(((big hugs to all)))

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%