Hints, Ideas, Tips For A First Time Tt Cake.....

Decorating By dl5crew Updated 22 Nov 2009 , 9:07pm by LaBellaFlor

dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 9:16pm
post #1 of 4

I have a friend who is getting married in April. She has asked me to do her cake. I will not be charging her for this cake, but I want it to be perfect for her.

She is wanting a Topsy turvy cake. Her colors are purple and green. I am waiting on her paint swatches so I can match them. Her green is a little lighter than hunter green, but brighter icon_confused.gif

1) I have never made a TT cake

2) I have not used fondant

If anyone has any advice etc... I would appreciate it. I am going to start to practice now. She has told me that she only wants to bottom layer cake, and the rest Styrofoam so the cost will be lower. Have a kitchen cake, and grooms cake. I would like to give her a full TT cake- no Styrofoam. She wants all chocolate cake, no vanilla at all.....

3 replies
LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 10:09pm
post #2 of 4

For the record, dummy (styrofoam) cakes are not much cheaper then a regular cake. I give 20% off for dummy cakes. For example: if i normorally would charge a $100 for a cake, it would be $80 in styrofoam. Also, kitchen cakes aren't much cheaper either, as the are still 4" high like a standard wedding cake. My base price for a buttercream cake is $3 and for fondant is $4 a serving, so that's what that kitchen cake would cost. If it feed a 100, the kitchen cake in fondant will be $400. When a serving is cut out of it, it'll look just like a piece that was cut out of the actual wedding cake. Tha's why they still are charged by the serving. They just save on the decoration cost. And all this is just information to help you with any future orders. icon_smile.gif

dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 9:00pm
post #3 of 4

Bumping for more help....
Thanks for the pricing info. I had referred her to a local bakery that has now gone out of business icon_sad.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 9:07pm
post #4 of 4

The best I can tell you is that there are tutorials on here & Youtube that shows how to do T.T. It's not as easy to explain without picutres and with those tutorials you can also see how it's done, while getting instructions. I will suggest you practice a few, as some people find T.T.'s very challenging and start practicing using fondant. And to be honest without having done T.T. on a regular basis as well as working with fondant, I would be reluctant for my first attempt to be someone's wedding cake, as that is probably one of the most important cake in someone's life. Good Luck! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%