Pre-Freezing Wedding Cake---Help!!!

Decorating By k_alie Updated 21 Nov 2009 , 8:11pm by -K8memphis

k_alie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
k_alie Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 6:08pm
post #1 of 3

I am making a girl's wedding cake for her December 26th wedding. Unfortunately, I do not want to spend my christmas baking a wedding cake. Is it possible to bake my cake and freeze it, or even better, complete the cake and freeze each tier? If so, HOW DO I DO THIS!?!? It is just a 2 tier fondant cake with silk flowers attached. ...very simple. If you can help me, please let me know how to freeze it and how to properly thaw before assemly. Thanks!

2 replies
AfordRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AfordRN Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 7:31pm
post #2 of 3

I bake ahead and freeze all my cakes. After cooled, wrap tightly in saran and then 2 layers of foil. When your ready to decorate, take out and allow to thaw wrapped on the counter. I would think you could fill and frost, then freeze the same way, but I've never done that. Have a fun Christmas!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 8:11pm
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by k_alie

I am making a girl's wedding cake for her December 26th wedding. Unfortunately, I do not want to spend my christmas baking a wedding cake. Is it possible to bake my cake and freeze it, or even better, complete the cake and freeze each tier? If so, HOW DO I DO THIS!?!? It is just a 2 tier fondant cake with silk flowers attached. ...very simple. If you can help me, please let me know how to freeze it and how to properly thaw before assemly. Thanks!

You have to defrost very gradually so the cake does not sweat to death.

I mean if you didn't want to spend Christmas doing a cake why are you?

I mean I froze a Christmas wedding cake fully decorated --my own 31 years ago this Christmas--but mine was buttercream.

Y'know what--I'd do a little cakelette in advance and freeze it all fondanted and see how it does in your particular freezer & frige & all. Everybody's frige is different in terms of amount of moisture it has inside so see how you do with it.

If I had a fully frozen cake I'd frige it Chistmas Eve so it has all Christmas day to come to frige temp then the next day to come to room temp.

Fondant to me gets weird in the freezer--any color on there can get weepy--so test it fully decorated like your wedding cake order.

I'd box it and wrap the box in plastic so no odors can seep in. I'd remove the wrapping when it goes to the frige.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%