Rolling Out Icing And Marzipan

Decorating By Shanijo Updated 21 Nov 2009 , 7:35pm by rainbow_kisses

Shanijo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shanijo Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 5:25pm
post #1 of 5

Hi folks i'm a newbie to cake decorating and have got a quick question. When you roll out icing or marzipan what is the best thing to put on work surface to stop it sticking while you are rolling it out? Hope somebody can help.

Regards
Nigel icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
KristyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyCakes Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 5:36pm
post #2 of 5

Welcome to CC! Corn starch for fondant. I have no luck using powdered sugar or shortening - but that may be just me!

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 5:56pm
post #3 of 5

I went to Walmart and bought a piece of vinyl in the fabric section (really thick) for 4.00. I rub a little shortening on it and roll out my fondant. What a god send. I told my daughter, "I can't believe that I have struggled with fondant so much when for 4.00 it could be this easy." No worries with this method.

Shanijo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shanijo Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 7:21pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for your advice ladies. Although i have to admit i had to look up shortening because living in th UK i had never heard of this, but our equivalent to this is lard, butter etc so thanks very much once again for the advice

Regards
Nigel

rainbow_kisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbow_kisses Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 7:35pm
post #5 of 5

Hi Nigel I am also in the Uk and shortening is just white fat over here so trex. But i also use corn powder (starch) for everything as powdered sugar (icing sugar) I find too difficult to use. I also roll on a granite surface but a big sheet of thick vynyl table covering is usefull for the larger cakes.

Welcome to CC
Tara

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%