Pumpkin Shortage

Decorating By -K8memphis Updated 20 Nov 2009 , 7:02pm by 2SchnauzerLady

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 5:13pm
post #1 of 16

I've always heard that certain pumpkins are raised for pie and other pumpkins are raised for jack o'lanterns. That the canned pumpkin is better than the jack o'lantern kind. But that's just what I've heard.

Here's another goodie--the recent harvest floods have caused a (canned) pumpkin shortage for pies:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Rain-may-put-pumpkin-pie-in-apf-1323181927.html?x=0&.v=7

I don't really like pumpkin pie but just saying--get yours quick!!!

15 replies
Joyfull4444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joyfull4444 Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 5:34pm
post #2 of 16

Ah see......

Thats why you should come live in Canuck land!

Our Thanksgiving has come and gone.

And......

WE had lots n lots of pumpkins!! icon_biggrin.gif

-K8memphis Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 5:35pm
post #3 of 16

Bwuwhahahahaha--lookie who's here!!!

Hope you're having a great day!!!!

You should post that 'couch' picture.

-K8memphis Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 5:39pm
post #4 of 16

Not to mention if I ever make it to your house I'm passing on the pumpkin pie & eating some of that gourmet cuisine of yours and the Breads and the Cakes and that meat pie and etc etc etc

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 5:44pm
post #5 of 16

I haven't seen a shortage of canned pumpkin at all in any stores here.

And yes the stuff in the can is not from the same kind of pumpkins you see in October.

Quote:
Quote:

It turns out that some canned pumpkin is actually gasp! squash. Some manufacturers make "pumpkin" puree from one or more kinds of winter squashes such as butternut, Hubbard, and Boston Marrow, which can be less stringy and richer in sweetness and color.

http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/ingredients-pantry/canned-pumpkin-what-is-it-really-made-of-069123

So is it a squash shortage or an actual pumpkin shortage( the little pie sizedvereity of pumpkins)... ?

Maybe it's already over..?

sadsmile Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 5:47pm
post #6 of 16

Squash pie...? call it whatever you want it's good! I make pies from both. I prefer the smoothness of the canned but I have processed fresh pumpkin and it was smoother. I think the canned stuff comes closer to the texture of sweet potatoes too... must be from the different kinds of squash they use.

I like squash of all varieties. My fave is spaghetti squash!

-K8memphis Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 5:55pm
post #7 of 16

I mean I get all my holiday orange starch thrills from sweeeet potato anything, pie, casserole, baked. Mmmm.

Y'know the old refrigerator potato roll dough recipe?? Someday I'm gonna make that outa sweeet potato & see how it goes. Probably should sub some brown sugar for the white huh.

We need to be careful here--I might get motivated to do something when it's so much easier to think about it. Kwim, merely thinking about it involves less mess to clean up, don't gotta go to the store, all those calories to convert to cellutlite. Whew--crisis averted--I've talked myself out of it.

icon_biggrin.gif

Joyfull4444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joyfull4444 Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 6:00pm
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8memphis-

Not to mention if I ever make it to your house I'm passing on the pumpkin pie & eating some of that gourmet cuisine of yours and the Breads and the Cakes and that meat pie and etc etc etc

C,mon down! Oh wait... maybe thats C,mon up???

Oh well...

Um, How bout tomorrow, can you come then? I'm makin and freezin my Xmas meat pies! thumbs_up.gif

sadsmile Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 6:05pm
post #9 of 16

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
I make a heavenly praline pecan sweet potato souffle.
This morning my son called it... gasp, a sweet potato casserole! Bless my daughter's heart she quickly corrected him on that. And added, "I hate the sound of Cass-o-roll."

It's so bad my FIL asks for it as desert, but then adds he has to have some pie as well. But it will pack on the lbs!

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 6:10pm
post #10 of 16

Meat pie; care to share a recipe?! I'm always looking for something different that I can make ahead and freeze. Thx!

-K8memphis Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 6:13pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
I make a heavenly praline pecan sweet potato souffle.
This morning my son called it... gasp, a sweet potato casserole! Bless my daughter's heart she quickly corrected him on that. And added, "I hate the sound of Cass-o-roll."

It's so bad my FIL asks for it as desert, but then adds he has to have some pie as well. But it will pack on the lbs!

But you see, my dear Sadsmile, these would be cellulite worthy calories. No you don't wanna just eat any ole' thing and have to work that dang cellulite off--you gotta have those sweet tasty memories to carry you on as you sweat those lovely bites off or let them jingle in the new year.

mmmm....the holidays!!!

We've got a very sweet invite this year too, no cooking for K8t. mmmmm

Dude, I'm swallowing just thinking about it--if you wanted to share that recipe with me I'd enjoy reading it!!!

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 6:37pm
post #12 of 16

It's the lil pie pumpkin that there is a shortage of. My Sam's Club out. I hope to find some today. Punkin Cheesecakes, and the cake rolls are on the books already.

Mike

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 6:43pm
post #13 of 16

One of my students was telling me she went to two or three different grocery stores yesterday for canned pumpkin and couldn't find it. I'm not sure if it is a shortage (because I know I looked at Walmart and saw alot there) or if people have done their shopping early. Or course if someone heard there was a shortage they made have stocked up on it, making it harder for others to get.

As far as the Jack'o'lanterns not being used. I have a friend that always takes their carved pumpkins and others she buys and bakes then purees it and uses it in breads and stuff. I followed her directions last year and my pumpkin bread and pumpkin bars tasted great. icon_smile.gif

sadsmile Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 6:44pm
post #14 of 16

Yummo!

Cakeasyoulikeit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeasyoulikeit Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 6:49pm
post #15 of 16

I had noticed that those little 15 oz cans of Libby are priced MUCH higher than they were last year and wondered why. Maybe this is why. We actually grew some cute little pumpkins in our garden this year...still waiting to try one out though. Hope they're good for baking!

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 7:02pm
post #16 of 16

I bought my pie pumpkins last month, and there was no shortage then - baked them, pureed in the food processor and in the freezer - Will take out of the freezer when I'm getting ready to make my pie. The little pumpkins are best for pies and taste so much better in pie than canned!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%