Pearl Dust On Fondant (Liquid?)

Decorating By lrlt2000 Updated 20 Nov 2009 , 6:50pm by TexasSugar

lrlt2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrlt2000 Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 4:30pm
post #1 of 9

I know you are supposed to mix the pearl dust with a liquid to paint it onto things, but what is the rule for using it on fondant, which you are not supposed to get wet/moist?

I want a REALLY dark dramatic silver shimmer--I already tried to knead most into the fondant, but as other posts have pointed out, it's a waste of dust as I'd need another 3 vials to get it where I want it!

Should I paint it on dry? Will I get the same thick layer of shimmer that won't blow off? Is there another method for use with fondant?

8 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 4:40pm
post #2 of 9

You can do either on fondant. The important thing is to use a high alcohol content liquid....it will evaporate and not mess with the fondant. I use everclear - works perfectly for me.

Dry brushing it will work also....it just depends on the look you want.

Roll out a piece and try both ways and see which method you prefer.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 4:41pm
post #3 of 9

If you use an alcohol, like everclear, vodka, or gin then the alcohol evaporates fast and leaves the dust behind. And the dust won't just blow off.

You want something that will evaporate which won't hurt the fondant.

lrlt2000 Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 4:53pm
post #4 of 9

Thanks! I'm trying Vodka now. Will post a pic after!

lrlt2000 Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 5:52pm
post #5 of 9

Well, I did one pretty thin coat, and it's taking forever to dry--the fondant is tacky but looks fine.

I want to do another coat, but I'm afraid to do it before this one completely dries. I have in front of a small fan. Would it be okay to go ahead and do another coat while the fondant is tacky or should I wait?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 5:55pm
post #6 of 9

Wait until it's dry or it will pull off the coat that's on there.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 6:03pm
post #7 of 9

That is why I like using everclear.....HIGH alcohol content = faster evaporating = quick drying. icon_wink.gif

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 6:11pm
post #8 of 9

No! It will act like tacky nail polish and get messy. I never get good results painting wet. I like dry dusting. every stinking time I wet brush it, it comes out blotchy.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 6:50pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

That is why I like using everclear.....HIGH alcohol content = faster evaporating = quick drying. icon_wink.gif

Oh yeah! I love how it starts evaporating from your dusts in the container you mix them in while you are working too. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%