Cookie Prices And Time To Finish (Help!!!!!)

Baking By Yane Updated 20 Nov 2009 , 10:09pm by cylstrial

Yane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yane Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 3:13pm
post #1 of 15

Hi guys I recently finished making my cookie order. I made 100 cookies covered with fondant. The cookies took me a really long time to finish since they were also individually wrapped and presented on a basquet.
They were 5X3 pink ribbon cookies and I charged $ 1.50 ea
I charged $1.50 ea and I don't know if I priced them correctly.

Can you tell me more or less how much do you charge and how long it takes you to complete an order of 100 cookies?

Please Help!!!

14 replies
verono Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
verono Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 5:29pm
post #2 of 15

5 inch X 3 inch ?
I would charge about 4$ when they are individually wrapped and tied with a ribbon.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 5:38pm
post #3 of 15

I charge exactlly $1.50 each for that same sized cookie. My pricing is $1.00 for a 3" cookie and $.50/inch after that (I don't make anything under 3"...or more importantly under $1.00)

I figure out the "inches" by adding the length and the width and multiply by two to get the average. So your cookies is 5 + 3= 8 / 2 =4" cookie.
That would be $1.50, but I charge an additional $.25/each to bag and tag/ bag and ribbon. So I would have charged $1.75/each so I don't think you're so far off!

However, cakes and such are REALLY cheap around here. There's a lady who made some VERY beautiful crown cookies that were at least 6" wide by 4" tall, I saw them when I was delivering the birthday cake...and I asked how much the lady paid because they were gorgeous (they had dragees in them, covered in fondant AND had luster dust all over them)........the lady said she paid $.65/EACH!!!! I was like.............whoooooooooaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh I would have Charged $2.00 a piece easily!!!

makeminepink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeminepink Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 5:44pm
post #4 of 15

I charge would have charged $2 each, so I don't think you're far off. Of course it depends on alot of things-- mainly I think if you feel like you made a decent profit.

verono Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 5:44pm
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

I charge exactlly $1.50 each for that same sized cookie. My pricing is $1.00 for a 3" cookie and $.50/inch after that (I don't make anything under 3"...or more importantly under $1.00)

I figure out the "inches" by adding the length and the width and multiply by two to get the average. So your cookies is 5 + 3= 8 / 2 =4" cookie.
That would be $1.50, but I charge an additional $.25/each to bag and tag/ bag and ribbon. So I would have charged $1.75/each so I don't think you're so far off!

However, cakes and such are REALLY cheap around here. There's a lady who made some VERY beautiful crown cookies that were at least 6" wide by 4" tall, I saw them when I was delivering the birthday cake...and I asked how much the lady paid because they were gorgeous (they had dragees in them, covered in fondant AND had luster dust all over them)........the lady said she paid $.65/EACH!!!! I was like.............whoooooooooaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh I would have Charged $2.00 a piece easily!!!

What ?!?!?! icon_eek.gif
OMG !!
Just to get an idea, here I can sell a 2" logo cookie (covered in glace) for 2.50$/each wrapped

KHalstead Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 6:16pm
post #6 of 15

wow, what a difference a couple states makes!!! lol

I actually don't sell a lot of cookies because people think i'm WAY too expensive here...but that's ok, I don't want to make a cookie for less than $1.00 each!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 7:01pm
post #7 of 15

A 5" cookie, bagged and tied, is easily $5.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 7:21pm
post #8 of 15

I say anywhere from .75 to $1 a square inch.

Man! I can't believe that lady sells her cookies for .65 each. That's insane Tina!!!

DakotaDesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DakotaDesigns Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 9:49pm
post #9 of 15

Does your gal's pricing change between cookies and cookie pops? I've made lots of cookies but never sold any so this thread has become quite informative! thumbs_up.gif

verono Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 10:28pm
post #10 of 15

If they want cookies on a stick, I add 25 cents per cookie.

KHalstead Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 1:16pm
post #11 of 15

Generally I only use cookies on sticks for cookie bouquets and the prices are DRASTICALLY different. Small bouquet-$15.00 (3 cookies), med $25.00 (5 cookies)...but that's to add for packaging and I do say that the number of cookies is approx. 2 small cookies may be used in place of 1 lg. cookie for asthetics based on the design of the bouquet.

If they wanted just regular cookies on sticks, I'd probably add $.25/each as well...seems fair!

KHalstead Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 1:20pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

Man! I can't believe that lady sells her cookies for .65 each. That's insane Tina!!!

You know what else is interesting but not quite as unbelievable???? I'm making a cake for the SAME lady that ordered the .65 cookies last year...and she's ordering cookies and chocolates from ME (she ordered those from the other lady last year)....I said, why aren't you getting the cookies and chocolates from the OTHER lady like last year, they were gorgeous...and you can't beat her prices! Ya know what my customer told me ????????????? She went out of business!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not too surprising. This same woman wanted to buy MY cakes and mark them up and resell them out of her shop, I declined because she's just over the PA border and as a home-baker I'm not suppose to sell cakes that will be consumed outside of Ohio, she said "who would know? I'll pick the cakes up from you, you would have no idea where it was being consumed" but I did know, and I felt it was dishonest!

go figure, guess she thoughts cakes were worth a lot more than cookies! Cookies are WAY more tedious and time consuming to me!

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 4:51pm
post #13 of 15

That's unbelievable!

Yane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yane Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 7:56pm
post #14 of 15

That's crazy yeah!

Thanks a lot to everyone for your help!!!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 10:09pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

You know what else is interesting but not quite as unbelievable???? I'm making a cake for the SAME lady that ordered the .65 cookies last year...and she's ordering cookies and chocolates from ME (she ordered those from the other lady last year)....I said, why aren't you getting the cookies and chocolates from the OTHER lady like last year, they were gorgeous...and you can't beat her prices! Ya know what my customer told me ????????????? She went out of business!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not too surprising. This same woman wanted to buy MY cakes and mark them up and resell them out of her shop, I declined because she's just over the PA border and as a home-baker I'm not suppose to sell cakes that will be consumed outside of Ohio, she said "who would know? I'll pick the cakes up from you, you would have no idea where it was being consumed" but I did know, and I felt it was dishonest!

go figure, guess she thoughts cakes were worth a lot more than cookies! Cookies are WAY more tedious and time consuming to me!

It's no surprise that she went out of business with those prices! Glad you got her order!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%