What Are The Must Have Books?

Decorating By onlymadaresane Updated 18 Nov 2009 , 11:22pm by littlejewel

onlymadaresane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onlymadaresane Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 9:56pm
post #1 of 6

I'm looking more on the 'how to' side here...especially sugar flowers.

Any suggestions? Favs?

5 replies
SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 10:32pm
post #2 of 6

I'm glad you asked this. I am looking forward to hearing reviews of other books I have not yet seen.

I just found a book a the library yesterday that I will be adding to my wish list. It is very nice, has a lot of different topics and nice photos.
It's called "The Essential Cake Decorating Guide"

Other books I have seen that are now on my wish list are:

Toba Garrett's Professional Cake Decorating (this one is really expensive) and The Well Decorated Cake

Planet Cake

Oh, I also really like the very old Wilton cake decorating encyclopedias. I borrowed them from my library a few months ago. They're huge books with a ton of techniques in them (mostly piping).

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 10:42pm
post #3 of 6

onlymadaresane, I just saw a few books on Amazon that look very interesting and maybe would be helpful to you. The International School of Sugar craft There are three volumes. Has anybody read these? If so, what did you think?

OK, I don't know why it is blocking the title of the book. You can click the link to see it on Amazon.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 10:44pm
post #4 of 6

Someone posted a link to a bunch of scanned copies of books a while back. I've been going through them and seeing which ones I'd like to buy. So far, the best flower one I've seen is Cake Decorating by Fay Gardener. Unlike a lot of books that I've seen, you don't have to have a ton of different flower cutters to make the things in her book.

Angelfire3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angelfire3 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 10:52pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks for doing this topic. I went to books-a-million about 2 months ago and I was in AWW at the amount of cake books there are. I too would like to know.

littlejewel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlejewel Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 11:22pm
post #6 of 6

has anyone seen or heard anything about Sugar Flowers for Beginners: A Step-by-step guide to Getting Started in Sugar Floristry by Paddi Clark? Would you recommend an Alan Dunn book?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%