Do I Really Need A Dowel Rod In The Middle?

Decorating By kjskid Updated 18 Nov 2009 , 7:04pm by Ruth0209

kjskid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjskid Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 4:01pm
post #1 of 6

I'm making a 3-tier cake for this Saturday. I will transport the cake unstacked to their house, then stack it there, and they will eat it that night. I'll support it with dowel rods. My question is, since I'm transporting it unstacked, do I really need the dowel rod down the middle? This is only my second 3-tiered cake, the first being for my family that we ate about 5 seconds after it was made!

5 replies
jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 4:02pm
post #2 of 6

No. No center dowel needed unless you are delivering assembled.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 4:29pm
post #3 of 6

I would. Any bump of the table and there it goes on the floor. I couldn't imagine not putting one.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 4:39pm
post #4 of 6

I think it's a personal preference as I've delivered stacked cakes without center dowel for thousands of miles covering several decades.

Some folks would not dream of delivering stacked some folks always deliver stacked because they don't want to be watched while they stack it up on site.

None of the bakeries I worked for ever used center dowels -- some delivered stacked some didn't.

So to me it's what you're comfy with and what applies to your specific needs at the time. For example I use the center dowel that's built into the base to thread cakes onto for my topsy turvy type cakes. But those I would deliver unstacked. A whimsical type cake I'd probably deliver stacked 'cause they're so messy.

Just whatever works best.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 6:09pm
post #5 of 6

I never use a center dowel at all. When I deliver three-tiered stacked cakes I refrigerate them so that they're cold when they're transported, and they're fine.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 7:04pm
post #6 of 6

I would not use a center dowel if you're assembling it on site. As long as your cake is assembled level, you don't need it for structural integrity.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%