Cake Boss Episode Nov 16Th

Lounge By linstead Updated 18 Nov 2009 , 6:35am by whit6

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 4:24am
post #1 of 6

Just curious if anyone saw Cake Boss last night? Does it bother anyone that they show the one baker scooping icing out of that large tube WITH HIS BARE HANDS into the pastry bag that Buddy is holding????? Somehow I found that mildly unsettling..........

btw did love the Alfie cake they made!

5 replies
whit6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whit6 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 4:54am
post #2 of 6

It doesnt really bother me because I was taught to think like this in culinary school. ALot of chefs would say the typical "use your hands, theyre your best tools" lines on us but it wasnt really ingrained in me until the chef I had in Catering/Garde Manger. He was ALWAYS on my butt about it. I remember one time specifially i was putting together a large antipasto platter for a buffet and was scooping stuff out with a large spoon. He grabbed it out of my hands and told me i was wasting time which = money in the real world. This happened to me about 3 or 4 times in that class. My baking chef was the same way. He had us hand fold things (like whipped egg whites into flour for lady fingers) because you could do it was faster and feel if it was evenly mixed. He also hand scooped out all his batter for cakes etc. After doing it a few times you really do realize how much faster and easier it is.

Of course this is all with VERY clean hands. I do understand how hard it is to get out of the mentality of using utensils because it was for me. But when you get into a high volume setting it is pretty normal

whit6 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 4:54am
post #3 of 6

It doesnt really bother me because I was taught to think like this in culinary school. ALot of chefs would say the typical "use your hands, theyre your best tools" lines on us but it wasnt really ingrained in me until the chef I had in Catering/Garde Manger. He was ALWAYS on my butt about it. I remember one time specifially i was putting together a large antipasto platter for a buffet and was scooping stuff out with a large spoon. He grabbed it out of my hands and told me i was wasting time which = money in the real world. This happened to me about 3 or 4 times in that class. My baking chef was the same way. He had us hand fold things (like whipped egg whites into flour for lady fingers) because you could do it was faster and feel if it was evenly mixed. He also hand scooped out all his batter for cakes etc. After doing it a few times you really do realize how much faster and easier it is.

Of course this is all with VERY clean hands. I do understand how hard it is to get out of the mentality of using utensils because it was for me. But when you get into a high volume setting it is pretty normal

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 5:34am
post #4 of 6

I didn't see the show but I've seen it done before. How does it save time if you have frosting encrusted hands you now have to wash before you can touch anything else? I doubt people are scrubbing their nails with a nail brush each time. Think how much crud could be under there! EWE! icon_eek.gif I'd really rather not know it is being done. But if I did know I would think twice about eating there. tapedshut.gif

cuteums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuteums Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 6:06am
post #5 of 6

oh that is so gross. If a health inspector saw that, they would have a serious problem in their store. You are supposed to be wearing gloves at all times when handling food. Ugh.

whit6 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 6:35am
post #6 of 6

I can see the bare hand bothering you, so yes it is better to wear a glove. I was just tryign to get the point across that using your hands is very quick so i can see why they do it but i do agree it would be better if he had been wearing a glove.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%