Buttercream Issues

Decorating By cindycraig Updated 18 Nov 2009 , 1:17pm by JenniferMI

cindycraig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindycraig Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 6:31pm
post #1 of 10

I need some advice from you veterans- I have a batch of buttercream that won't crust. It's a recipe that I always use and it has never given me problems before. If I add more powdered sugar will it help or do I need to give up and just make a new batch? What would cause this? TIA

9 replies
flamingobaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flamingobaker Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 6:38pm
post #2 of 10

I don't think just adding the powdered sugar will help. It is some combination of things that causes the crusting, but I don't remember. That's weird that it's a recipe you've used before. Maybe you left something out?

dreamcakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamcakesmom Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 6:48pm
post #3 of 10

I do not think it's a powdered sugar issue. Does the recipe call for meringue powder? The one I use does which makes mine crust. Maybe you did not add enough or maybe add extra if not originally required

cindycraig Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 6:56pm
post #4 of 10

my Recipe doesn't call for MP- and I went through the list of ingredients to make sure I didn't leave anything out. WHO KNOWS!! It's just a mystery.

jardot22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jardot22 Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 6:56pm
post #5 of 10

I think adding more powdered sugar would help. The ratio of fat to sugar is what causes buttercream to crust - the higher the ratio of sugar to the amount of fat, the better it will crust. You can always add more liquid to thin it out as well, once you add more sugar.

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 6:59pm
post #6 of 10

I think it's the ratio of sugar to shortening. Try adding more sugar. It's not the meringue powder since the recipe I use doesn't have any in it.

cindycraig Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 7:53pm
post #7 of 10

Thanks- I'll add some and see how it turns out. It can't be any worse.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 7:57pm
post #8 of 10

I'd add more powder sugar.

What is your recipe? Is your house more humid than it usually is?

DsLady614 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DsLady614 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 2:12am
post #9 of 10

The ratio of fat to sugar is what causes the crusting. Did you, by any chance, use a different shortening? Is the humidity higher than normal? I had this happen when I used high ration shortening for the first time, not realizing you use less of it than normal shortening.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 1:17pm
post #10 of 10

I am thinking your fat changed in some way???

Humidity??

Jen icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%