What Is The Best Airbrush Colors?

Decorating By FH_Cakes Updated 18 Nov 2009 , 4:00pm by wrightway777

FH_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FH_Cakes Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 5:01pm
post #1 of 7

There are so many to choose from, which has the best to offer? I am looking into buying a variety set for my new Kopkake I am getting at x-mas!

6 replies
HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 5:43pm
post #2 of 7

Americolor has 12 color kits you can buy with regular colors and the sheen colors.

The sheen box has all the colors they sell.

This has been perfect for me to start. I already know I need other colors from the regular line, so I'm trying to stock those.

HTH

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 3:04am
post #3 of 7

ditto on Americolor...ahh you lucky ducky I dont have the sheen colors yet!

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 3:12am
post #4 of 7

I like both, KopyKake and Americolor.

Jen icon_smile.gif

andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 5:18am
post #5 of 7

I want to buy both of these sets, can you tell me where you found the best price? Also for just starting out do you reccomend buying the small bottles or should you just go ahead and get the bigger ones? Thanks!

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 10:33am
post #6 of 7

My sets came as part of the package, so I ended up with a fabulous deal.

TCP Global airbrush seems to have decent prices, but I don't know how they hit you on shipping.

I like the fact I have little bottles. I've been experimenting and there are a few colors I know I can live without. There are other colors I think I must have.

For instance, I coated my calla centers/pistols? with cornmeal and then painted lemon yellow. They are too orange. Since I'm in the process of redecorating I tried the color again on drywall after cleaning my brush, still too orange. So I'm going to get electric yellow and see if I can mess around to get the right color.

Big bottles, my suggestion would be white.

Wait until you can play with the little ones until you start investing money. It only takes a couple of drops to last forever. You can also extend and ombre the colors by adding vodka or everclear.

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 4:00pm
post #7 of 7

Oops, I just looked at my colors I have Kroma Kolors too they are fine too.
I would suggest small bottles 2.3 oz if you are not going to use your airbrush a lot...they actually have a "best if used by" date on each bottle. I dont think they go bad but its good to know that in advance.
I bought mine directly from Bakers Nook (remove the spaces in the link).
http://www.s h o p bakersnook.com/
super nice people. They actually sent me some colors once that had already past their best if used by date and when I called them they just rushed me newer bottles out...no questions asked...no returning....super great service.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%