Need Advice

Baking By tatorchip Updated 18 Nov 2009 , 11:53pm by tatorchip

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 12:41am
post #1 of 21

My Mom is turning 75 on Dec. 15th and we are giving her a party, my Daughter is making her cake, bingo theme.

I am making the sugar cookies, we don't want anything bingo on the cookies but I am having a mental block on what shape and theme to make her. I want to use RI but can't come up with a theme. I am a home baker (I don't sell) and I am not great on decorating so need simple idea lol

any help would be appricated. TIA

20 replies
amberkw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberkw Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 12:55am
post #2 of 21

I have really loved all the christmas ornament ball cakes & cookies. If they are just round cookies, thats pretty simple. Then just royal ice in christmas colors, let dry, then add your deco to the ornament w/ more icing. Good luck & Happy Bday to Mama. Maybe she will win a round of bingo!

mrsc808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsc808 Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 1:00am
post #3 of 21

Ornaments would be pretty - you could even use stencils to help you decorate.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 1:01am
post #4 of 21

How about a pretty monogrammed cookie? Check my photos for the last picture posted. These were done in fondant, but you could do something similar in royal icing.

tatorchip Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 1:32am
post #5 of 21

amberkw, thanks, I will tell her and thanks for the ideas icon_biggrin.gif

mrsc808,I do have stencils and that would be great also to go with the Christmas idea, thanks icon_biggrin.gif

newmansmom2004, I have that photo in my favs, they are awesome, I could momogram in silver, she loves silver, thank you icon_biggrin.gif

I really appreciate the help that takes a load off my mine, I have time to practice. Thanks again.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 1:34am
post #6 of 21

Please don't make them Christmas themed, my sister is so-o tired of people giving her Christmas-themed birthday things.

tatorchip Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 2:26am
post #7 of 21

7yyrt, the cake will be bingo theme, the whole cake table will be all bingo themed but we are having a cookie table and a deli style table with meat and veggies and all. Other family members will also make cookies. I want mine to stand out special for her. Any ideas are welcome. Thanks for the advice. It is almost turning out to be like a family reunion lol

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 2:33am
post #8 of 21

You could pair silver monogramming with so many different background colors and they'd be gorgeous - ice blue, pink, brown, turquoise, black, various shades of green, gold even! So many choices!

Keep us posted!

heddahope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heddahope Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 2:36am
post #9 of 21

I also think the monogram idea sounds lovely.

Happy birthday to her, my son turns 4 that day and it is also his paran's (my brother) birthday too. Great day.

tatorchip Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 2:48am
post #10 of 21

I am leaning towards the monogram idea, I was thinking silver with not sure yet on background color. newmansmom thanks for the color ideas, I have a hard time with black, I don't know why, I would love silver and black though, I will post picture when finished.
heddahope, I will tell my Mom and tell your son I said Happy birthday also and his paran. My nenan's (Godmother) birthday is in April like me lol

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 9:30am
post #11 of 21

what about a purple background with the silver monogram? i think that would go nice, like a rich purple not a pale one

tatorchip Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 1:32pm
post #12 of 21

good color deep rich purple and silver, sounds great and I have that color thanks Elise, I wish I could have done the silver and black but maybe when I get better with the black RI I can make her a batch then but for now the purple will be the one I will practice with.

Elise87 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 12:59am
post #13 of 21

yeh blacks RI or anything is annoying. I always start of with the cocoa to make it darker and then keep on adding the black till it's almost black and then letting it sit does the rest of the work.

It doesn't matter if the black RI tastes a bit chocolately to me cose it's mixed in with just normal RI and the taste difference isn't that extreme that it makes a big difference.

I only have wilton at the moment but i want to buy americolor superblack cose i was told u need less of it for same results icon_biggrin.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 4:09am
post #14 of 21

I think the monogram sounds pretty. Does she have a hobby? You could find a cookie cutter with her hobby maybe?

tatorchip Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 4:17am
post #15 of 21

Elise, it would be okay to add cocoa to RI, wow then maybe I will try for black, thanks great great great

cylstrial, sadly for me, but bingo is her only interest, besides church and her family lol, it would make it easier if she did. Thanks for idea though.

Elise87 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 4:21am
post #16 of 21

oh gosh if i didn't use cocoa first i don't want to think of the amount of black i would have to put in lol

tatorchip Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 4:39am
post #17 of 21

OMG, that is why I had so much problem with it, I put only wilton black, the tux in my cookie photo was so hard to work with. I couldn't get it right as you could see. Why didn't I ask about this before? duh
I knew about the cocoa for bc but not for RI lol

scgriffiths Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scgriffiths Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 4:42am
post #18 of 21

I fell in love with these, which were posted last week. I think they'd stand out in a crowd, and if you Mother enjoys patchwork or craft, they would be appropriate!!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1514002

tatorchip Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 4:54am
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgriffiths

I fell in love with these, which were posted last week. I think they'd stand out in a crowd, and if you Mother enjoys patchwork or craft, they would be appropriate!!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1514002

they are beautiful, she loves flowers come to think of it, but I will have to really practice those and wow they would really stand out, I would really surprise my daughter, she is always telling me she knows I can do cake things and wants me to keep trying, I think we changed roles lol
I will try those and the monograms, lol look at me getting all excited and so late at night. lol

cookiemookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemookie Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 10:49pm
post #20 of 21

If you don't want your black icing(I use royal) to taste like chocolate , just make your icing brown(I used Americolor chocolate brown)first, then add black. You will use alot less black coloring this way. It works like a charm.

By the way my youngest grandson turns 3 on that day also.

Good luck with your cookies.

tatorchip Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 11:53pm
post #21 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiemookie

If you don't want your black icing(I use royal) to taste like chocolate , just make your icing brown(I used Americolor chocolate brown)first, then add black. You will use alot less black coloring this way. It works like a charm.

By the way my youngest grandson turns 3 on that day also.

Good luck with your cookies.

well cookiemookie, tell him I said happy birthday also, I wish we could all get together that day, don't you know the cookies would be flying lol

Thank you for the tip, your cookies are awesome. I feel so special being surrounded by such talent on this thread.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%