Need Help About Traveling Cake...

Decorating By JBCakesCo Updated 17 Nov 2009 , 2:07pm by Loucinda

JBCakesCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JBCakesCo Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 8:45pm
post #1 of 7

I have a lady who wants to place an order for a cake but she is traveling 9 hours to the destination. Not sure yet if she is wanting a tiered cake but it needs to feed 60 people and look formal for a 16th birthday party. I have no doubt a sheet cake would be fine for traveling that long but do you think a tiered cake would make it that far???

6 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 8:54pm
post #2 of 7

I wouldn't do tiers for a 9 hr. trip. If there is a problem, you won't be there to fix it.

A 14" round or square will serve 60+ and can be decorated "formally".

Rae

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 9:00pm
post #3 of 7

I haven't used it yet, but most here seem to swear by the SPS system if they want tiered. But due to the distance, I would go along with BlakesCakes and do the 14" cake for safety, and I would use dowels.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 11:31pm
post #4 of 7

SPS and it should be fine for that long of a drive. But really, a lot of that also depends on the driver. I've seen people wreck a cake driving 5 minutes away. Seriously, smashed the back up of every last tier and every last satellite cake I made. icon_razz.gif

JBCakesCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JBCakesCo Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 3:03am
post #5 of 7

Okay I have to ask what does SPS stand for? lol

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 3:11am
post #6 of 7

SPS stands for single plate seprator. Leah_s has a sticky all about SPS at the top of the How Do I Forum. Check it out & you will get all the info. you need about SPS.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 2:07pm
post #7 of 7

Another problem with traveling that long is where the sun will be in reference to where the cake is in the vehicle. Even if that car is 65 degrees, if the sun is beating down through a window, something is gonna give on the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%