Canadian Law

Business By AverageMom Updated 17 Nov 2009 , 2:21am by -Tubbs

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 4:18pm
post #1 of 5

Do any of you know what the laws are in Canada for home baking? And where did you find the info?

4 replies
cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 4:27pm
post #2 of 5

The laws differ from province to province. The best places to start are with the Public Health Unit for your area to find out the health regulations and then find out what the restrictions are for your neighborhood (zoning). Many neighborhoods have rules like home businesses can not have more than 5 people stop at a home per day (to discourage excess traffic to residential areas). In my area a person needs to have a seperate kitchen with a seperate lockable entrance and it has to pass the health inspection in order to bake from home. This is one of the main reasons I chose to continue caking as a hobby instead of a business.

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 4:33pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks. I know it's bound to be harder than I expect. Sigh.

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 6:13pm
post #4 of 5

Don't get discouraged. I have friends that have succefully started their legal cake businesses from home. It can happen but it does take time and Money to do it just like any business start up. If it is what you really want to do you will find a way.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 2:21am
post #5 of 5

I don't know what the rules are where you are, but here in AB you have to work from a separate commercial kitchen (three sinks etc) to get licenced. I have one in my basement, which was built without too much drama or money. I don't, however, have to have a separate entrance... different rules everywhere - so confusing! icon_sad.gif

Definitely the first place to contact is your local environmental health dept, and the next stop should be the business licencing office at your city hall. Both these people will have a wealth of information specific to your location.

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%