Buttercream Wedding Cake.....how Long Can It Be Displayed?

Decorating By Marley2458 Updated 16 Nov 2009 , 7:45pm by cylstrial

Marley2458 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marley2458 Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 4:00pm
post #1 of 3

Hi! I am making my first wedding cake next fall for my boyfriend's sister (YAH!). I have made tiered cakes before and the unusual birthday cakes, however how long can I safely have a buttercream or cream cheese frosting "displayed"? I want to make sure I cover all of my bases, to make sure the cake tastes good but also has time to be seen! Any tricks, ideas or thoughts would be awesome!
Thanks!

2 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 4:46pm
post #2 of 3

what's your icing recipe? Crisco based BC's can be set out for days. Butter based ones have a lower melting point. I dont' use butter-based ones, so I don't know about the time to set out thing, but I do know that gramma and my aunt made icing out of butter and their cakes sat on their counter for days.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 7:45pm
post #3 of 3

What's the temperature going to be? I'd say your fine anywhere as the temperature is finally getting cooler. But that's something to think about as well. You can make the buttercream a week or so in advance. And it should be able to stay on the cake for a couple of days with no problem. Even my buttercream recipes that use butter still have crisco to help them hold up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%