Need A Free Cake? Call Me!

Business By karateka Updated 17 Nov 2009 , 2:42pm by LaBellaFlor

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 3:36pm
post #1 of 17

So I get a call from a lady planning the local youth football league's banquet. She wants a full sheet to feed 100 people. Her current baker is not returning phone calls and she needs someone to do this for Friday. THIS Friday.

So she says she was hoping to get it for less than $3/serving. Her budget is somewhat limited, but she does put an ad in the program for anyone that donates so the families will have an ad for their business to take home with them. She says that she was trying to avoid having to buy a Costco cake, because she really wants something yummy for the banquet.

She says she has a family willing to donate some cash to get a nice cake. So I ask her what her budget is, and she says $40.

As in FORTY dollars.

I refrained from telling her that she has rocks in her head. I told her that in this economy I couldn't afford to work for that little. Her response was to tell me that in this economy she couldn't ask the parents for more money. THen she asked me for references to other "good" bakeries that would work for this amount.

I told her I couldn't help her.

16 replies
Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 4:05pm
post #2 of 17

Oh geez. Some people.

That's forty cents a portion. You can't even buy a Twinkie for that.

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 4:16pm
post #3 of 17

And she wonders why her current baker is not returning her phone calls. um, lets see here.

vetaAL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vetaAL Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 4:19pm
post #4 of 17

I don't think $40 will buy her COSTCO/Sam's Club cake for 100... what with tax and all the cake itself should be only ~ $30-32
People ... huh

Manotas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Manotas Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 4:25pm
post #5 of 17

She is crazy! What's wrong with some people?

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 4:49pm
post #6 of 17

If I have to buy a store cake it will be from SAM'S and from what I know about SAM'S they dont sell a sheet cake for less than $70.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 4:53pm
post #7 of 17

They don't have a clue...... not a clue....

Jen

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 5:27pm
post #8 of 17

How did she get from "hoping to get it for less than $3 a serving" to "$40 for 100 servings? Yeah, that's a LOT less than $3 a serving... icon_confused.gif She can't even get a doughnut for that. Maybe a stale doughnut...

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 5:48pm
post #9 of 17

Oh it can be done....

5 boxes cake mix -5$
2 dozen eggs-3$
oil-3$
water-1$
disposable cake pans-5$
5 cans icing-6$
Total:$23

...and look at that she has some left over, she can get some sprinkles icon_lol.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 5:57pm
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeMommyTX

Oh it can be done....

5 boxes cake mix -5$
2 dozen eggs-3$
oil-3$
water-1$
disposable cake pans-5$
5 cans icing-6$

...and look at that she has some left over, she can get some sprinkles icon_lol.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I admire your mathmetical genius! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 9:06pm
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

How did she get from "hoping to get it for less than $3 a serving" to "$40 for 100 servings? Yeah, that's a LOT less than $3 a serving... icon_confused.gif She can't even get a doughnut for that. Maybe a stale doughnut...

That's exactly what my response was gonna be.....great minds.....

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 9:07pm
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeMommyTX

Oh it can be done....

5 boxes cake mix -5$
2 dozen eggs-3$
oil-3$
water-1$
disposable cake pans-5$
5 cans icing-6$

lol wouldn't you love to e-mail her this list? lol!

350BakerStreet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
350BakerStreet Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 2:13am
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Seriously!!! I was thinkin' the same thing too...WTF?!?!?! tapedshut.gif

jadak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jadak Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 2:06pm
post #14 of 17

It's probably not so much that she wants to avoid Costco in order to get something better as it is she tried Costco and couldn't get 100 servings of cake for $40. I don't buy cakes so I don;t know, but really....can you even BUY a decorated cake that cheap anywhere? So, when Costco was out, she thought she'd take the "you'll get free advertising" route. Like you want your name out there as the lady who makes cakes for 100 for $40! icon_eek.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 2:35pm
post #15 of 17

I think you can get a half sheet for $40 at Walmart. The only reason I know is because my cousin had to order one from there.

andrea7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andrea7 Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 2:41pm
post #16 of 17

I get phone calls like that all the time (more in last year). It used to bother me now I just laugh at the cheapness and stupidity. I actually hung up on a lady a couple of weeks ago. I never do that but she insulted me and then tried to tell me if I didn't take her order she wouldn't send her friends my way, like I need more of her calling me. I realize times are tough BUT I will get paid what i'm worth or no cakeicon_smile.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 2:42pm
post #17 of 17

Andrea7 you are my new hero.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%