Need Help With A Christmas Wedding Cake W/woodsy Greenery?

Decorating By korensmommy Updated 16 Nov 2009 , 4:31am by dawncr

korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 7:46pm
post #1 of 13

A friend of mine is buying her SIL her wedding cake but the mother of the bride is making all the decisions about decorations (yes, I know, this could be crazy but the lines of communication are open between all parties and I have no problem laying down the law if needed!)

Small casual wedding at MIL house. MIL wants 9"/6" round, stacked, iced in buttercream. She wants the top decorated like a package with a bow topper - I'm fine with that.

She wants the bottom to match the Christmas decorations in her house: red/green colors, woodsy and lots of traditional greenery, like you would put on your fireplace mantle.

Any ideas?

12 replies
korensmommy Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 10:47pm
post #2 of 13

Anyone?

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 1:38am
post #3 of 13

Have you thought of some pine cones & pine needles made out of chocolate? You could do the top tier with pine cone print wrapping paper, so it blends with the bottom tier.

korensmommy Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 1:47am
post #4 of 13

Sounds perfect! Now, how do I make the pine cones/needles?? icon_smile.gif

LaBellaFlor Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 1:53am
post #5 of 13

Okay, so your gonna use modleing chocolate for the pine cones. Get your 5 rose petal cutter (not neccessary, but makes it easier), roll chocolate thick, but not to think, (think of a pine cone icon_biggrin.gif ), then make a circle of the large one and so on to the top using the smaller petals, attaching with melted chocolate. I hope I make sense. Pine needles, much easier, melt some chocolate, put it in a parchment bag, cut the tip, draw stright lines of chocolate that all meet at the same point. They will be delicate, but sooo pretty. I'm bad at explaining things, but I hope this makes sense.

LaBellaFlor Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 1:54am
post #6 of 13

Oh yeah, the pointed part of the petals meet in the middle.

Jennifer1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer1970 Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 1:54am
post #7 of 13

I've seen pinecones made out of sliced almonds and then dipped in melted chocolate. I think they use marzipan for the base, and then stick the almonds into to build the pinecone. Use real pine needles (washed and dried) for the needles.

korensmommy Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 2:02am
post #8 of 13

Thanks, your description is great! I would have never thought of that on my own.

Have you done the pine needles before? I've done a little chocolate work but I would be afraid all of these would break. Maybe I can try using fondant instead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

Okay, so your gonna use modleing chocolate for the pine cones. Get your 5 rose petal cutter (not neccessary, but makes it easier), roll chocolate thick, but not to think, (think of a pine cone icon_biggrin.gif ), then make a circle of the large one and so on to the top using the smaller petals, attaching with melted chocolate. I hope I make sense. Pine needles, much easier, melt some chocolate, put it in a parchment bag, cut the tip, draw stright lines of chocolate that all meet at the same point. They will be delicate, but sooo pretty. I'm bad at explaining things, but I hope this makes sense.

korensmommy Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 2:29am
post #9 of 13

Here are the directions for the marzipan/almond pinecones:
http://www.candylandcrafts.com/marzipanrecipes.htm
I think I might make these, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer1970

I've seen pinecones made out of sliced almonds and then dipped in melted chocolate. I think they use marzipan for the base, and then stick the almonds into to build the pinecone. Use real pine needles (washed and dried) for the needles.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 4:07am
post #10 of 13

I just used tip 233 (grass tip) to make the greenery stuff - it worked out fine for me.

Here is a pic (be kind, it was a couple of years ago!) but you can see what I mean on how I used it.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=91768

(and BTW - I LOVE that almond trick for the pinecones.....will be usuing that one - thanks!)

LaBellaFlor Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 4:11am
post #11 of 13

I don't see why you can't use fondant with a little tylose to get them solid. I only say chocolate, cause you can get the lines very thin like a pine needle. If your careful & pipe on parchment paper, you should be fine. Some will break of course, but they just look so pretty and delicate with the chocolate. You can also place them up against the cake.

dawncr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawncr Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 4:23am
post #12 of 13

An alternative way to link the theme of the two tiers:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_109201.html

dawncr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawncr Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 4:31am
post #13 of 13

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%