Fondant Too Too Sweet

Baking By laney19702 Updated 15 Nov 2009 , 2:08pm by ZlatkaT

laney19702 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laney19702 Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 4:19pm
post #1 of 7

I use the mmf recipe on here but I find it way too sweet, I followed the recipe every time but it still turns out sweet, would it affect the texture if i added some salt to cut down the sweetness, or is there someting else I can add to cut down that sweet taste? I don't know what else to do I love working with fondant but am thinking of not using it as it is so sweet, someone please help me or give me some advice on fondant?? TIA

6 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 5:15pm
post #2 of 7

Stop making MMF then, it's obnoxiously sweet. Try MFF-Michelle Foster Fondant, you can google it and it will lead to the recipe back here on this site. Greatest homemade fondant ever (in my opinion) icon_wink.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 10:23pm
post #3 of 7

ouch.gif I love MMF. I did make MFF and it just didn't work for me. I'm gonna try one more time though & see what happens.

anamado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anamado Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 10:45pm
post #4 of 7

MMF is the one for me too!
If you think it's too sweet you can try substituting some cornstarch for sugar. I tried it once because I hadn't got enough sugar to make it icon_biggrin.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 10:54pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

ouch.gif I love MMF. I did make MFF and it just didn't work for me. I'm gonna try one more time though & see what happens.

Ohhhhhh, look at that ouchie! icon_lol.gif

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 6:14am
post #6 of 7

What brand of marshmallows are you using? When I used Wal-Mart's I had to add grounded up salt to every batch.

I now only use Kraft Jet Puffed and don't have to add any, and that's saying alot, because I added an entire tsp. to MFF (Michele Foster's) when I used to make hers, and I had to cut my buttercream to 6 cups of powdered sugar (versus the 8 called for) AND add 1/2 tsp. of salt.

You can try adding lemon juice to cut the sweet also.

ZlatkaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZlatkaT Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 2:08pm
post #7 of 7

I have recipe of less sweet fondant, mostly made of powdered milk and little ps. If you are interested of my recipe pm me. The downside is that it is not white, but in Ivory color (because of the powdered milk), so if I need white color, I have to color it. But it taste almost like marzipan.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%