Stencil Cutter??

Decorating By sugarlicious Updated 14 Nov 2009 , 10:45pm by SharonK1973

sugarlicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarlicious Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 12:24pm
post #1 of 9

Good morning everyone icon_biggrin.gif I was just watching a sewing show on TV and it was showing how to use a stencil cutter to cut stencils out of fabric to use then to do embroidery and it was cutting so smoothly that I checked on computer and found this one, pic attached, and thought should be so much easier to use than an exacto knife to cute intricate patterns on plastic for cakes, was wondering if anyone ever used a stencil cutter for stencils for cakes before and how they found them to work. Here is embroidery site I found the pic with details, it is $16.99, don't know if link will show but here it is http://www.embtreasures.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=315 was wondering if we could buy these at Michaels, will have to check icon_biggrin.gif

Sugar
LL

8 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 12:35pm
post #2 of 9

I have never heard of it before - but I have been wanting to make my own cake stencils. It seems like it would be worth a try.

Hopefully, someone else on here has a little bit more info.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 2:20pm
post #3 of 9

ive used that to make many a stencil. I works. it is slow going though. There are a couple of differant tips for it, the thing heats up and you draw over your lines with the hot tip. If you hold it in place too long it will burn a hole, if you move it along too fast it wont cut through the sheet of mylar or what ever you are using. ive used mine so much that i have completely bent over one of the tip from pressing too hard with it when its hot. I also have a wood burner, same thing, but gets hotter that i sometimes use. Exacto also has a knife that has a swiveling blade on it so that you can follow lines more smoothly and that works great too.

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 2:34pm
post #4 of 9

thanks for sharing, going to Michael's today and will check there

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 3:07pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks! I've been making paper stencils for my painted cakes but I've been cutting with an Exacto knife...it's WAAAAAAAAYYY slow! And I end up just getting a vague picture that I then fill in as best I can from the picture. I really need to try something like this!

sugarlicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarlicious Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 4:25pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks for the replies, I am definitely going to try this out, going to see where I can find this to add to all my mountain of cake decorating goodies icon_biggrin.gif

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 4:37pm
post #7 of 9

I bought one of these at a Pat Catans for 9.00 a couple months ago , but have yet to get brave enough to try it. Maybe I will now, thanks.

tigerhawk83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigerhawk83 Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 10:06pm
post #8 of 9

I'm going to try to use my new Cricut for cutting stencils for cookies. Have the designs worked out using Inkscape and Sure Cuts A Lot and have cut practice ones out of paper successfully. I've got the blank stencil sheets from Hobby Lobby - just need to pull the trigger, but think I need the deep cut housing for the thickness of the stencil. icon_eek.gif

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 10:45pm
post #9 of 9

I cut stencils with my cricut all the time. It can be done with the regular blade. I use clear vinyl since it pliable and I can wrapp it around a cake without edges sticking up or bring too stiff.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%