Chocolate Cake Is Showing Through Frosting!

Decorating By tiny314 Updated 14 Nov 2009 , 12:54pm by indydebi

tiny314 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiny314 Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 5:14am
post #1 of 5

I am having trouble keeping the darkness from the chocolate cake from showing through my white, cream cheese frosting! I did a crumb coat, did a regular coat, and then tried to touch up the areas where it is showing through. It seems like trying to touch things up after the frosting has crusted causes it to slide around and uncover new dark areas. Please help!!!

Also, I've been using the Viva paper towel method to smooth and it seems like my buttercream or cream cheese frosting still comes out wrinkly! What am I doing wrong??

4 replies
OMGitsaLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OMGitsaLisa Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 5:46am
post #2 of 5

I would love to know the answer to the elephant skin buttercream using the viva paper towel method. I don't think I've ever gotten it looking really smooth that way. It's usually okay, but sometimes it's worse than others... like the cake I made today. It's a damn mess.

chinadoll652003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chinadoll652003 Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 6:05am
post #3 of 5

I use the viva method and never have a problem. How long do you let your buttercream crust before you use the viva? I always wait at least 15-20 mins. Wish I could help with the elephant skin but I've never had that problem.

OMGitsaLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OMGitsaLisa Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 6:07am
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinadoll652003

I use the viva method and never have a problem. How long do you let your buttercream crust before you use the viva? I always wait at least 15-20 mins. Wish I could help with the elephant skin but I've never had that problem.

Tonight I was going to keep a closer eye on it and only let it set for 10 minutes before trying to smooth it. Unfortunately, I was otherwise occupied for exactly 16 minutes and when I went back to smooth it, it was the worst elephant skin I've ever seen on one of my cakes.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 12:54pm
post #5 of 5

Is the chocolate cake that is showing thru crumbs or is it the actual cake? If it's the actual cake, are you using wilton pans?

The reason I ask is that wilton pans tend to have a flair to them, which causes a "pointy"ness to the sides of the cake, which is hard to cover with icing. When I have to use my wilton pan, I trim this flair off while the cake is frozen. It helps.

When I do red velvelt cakes, I actualy crumb coat twice, then ice. If re-icing is causing your icing to slide around, it sounds like your icing might be a tad too thick. This could also help explain why it's crusting almost too much before you smooth it.

I usually only have to let the cakes sit 5 minutes give or take. I'll ice one, set it aside, ice the next one, by then the 1st one is ready to smooth.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%