Please Help Now With Chocolate Chip Lollipops!

Sugar Work By JustToEatCake Updated 14 Nov 2009 , 7:00am by JustToEatCake

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 2:48am
post #1 of 5

Please help we are trying to make chocolate chip lollipops with half milk chocolate and half semi sweet chocolate chips for kids and when we take them out (that's another question below) and they cool they aren't hard. We aren't adding any oil to them (we were but they were like fudge then).

Question 2. We put them in the freezer until frosted so they release, like I have read but then they sweat really badly. We get them dry but this doesn't seem right to me. We place them on wax paper, any suggestions?

4 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 2:55am
post #2 of 5

What kind of chocolate are you using? It sounds like it's out of temper. If you're using real chocolate, you need to temper it in order for it to set up hard.

It is possible to use chocolate chips without tempering them, but it sounds to me like you may be overheating them which really messes with their stability.

My advice would be to use candy melts or confectioners coating chocolate. Or, start fresh with the chocolate chips but heat them more gently.

You don't need to place them in the freezer. The refrigerator will be fine. How long they need to be chilled depends on how hot the chocolate is and how thick your molds are.

Even refrigerated, the chocolate will have a little condensation on them when you unmold them. Just let them air dry. Don't touch them when they're wet or you'll make fingerprints.

Good luck!

JustToEatCake Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 3:03am
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

What kind of chocolate are you using? It sounds like it's out of temper. If you're using real chocolate, you need to temper it in order for it to set up hard.

It is possible to use chocolate chips without tempering them, but it sounds to me like you may be overheating them which really messes with their stability.

My advice would be to use candy melts or confectioners coating chocolate. Or, start fresh with the chocolate chips but heat them more gently.

You don't need to place them in the freezer. The refrigerator will be fine. How long they need to be chilled depends on how hot the chocolate is and how thick your molds are.

Even refrigerated, the chocolate will have a little condensation on them when you unmold them. Just let them air dry. Don't touch them when they're wet or you'll make fingerprints.

Good luck!

The chocolates are the "real" not imitation Nestle's and Hershey's. The are for kids they won't really care but the lollipops are swaying. We'll try what you said. We did start fresh with a new 50/50 batch of Milk and Semi's. Can you temper chocolate chips?

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 3:11am
post #4 of 5

I didn't mean real vs. imitation chocolate - I meant real chocolate with cocoa butter vs. candy melts/confectioners coating where the cocoa butter has been replaced with a more stable fat that doesn't require tempering.

I forgot to mention that chocolate chips are made so that they don't melt easily. That's how they stay intact in cookies. So, you need to heat them very gently, but be patient.

It's tricky to temper chocolate chips. And if you have no experience tempering chocolate, now is not the time to try it. icon_smile.gif

I have to log off for the night. Good luck with your lollipops!!

JustToEatCake Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 7:00am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

I didn't mean real vs. imitation chocolate - I meant real chocolate with cocoa butter vs. candy melts/confectioners coating where the cocoa butter has been replaced with a more stable fat that doesn't require tempering.

I forgot to mention that chocolate chips are made so that they don't melt easily. That's how they stay intact in cookies. So, you need to heat them very gently, but be patient.

It's tricky to temper chocolate chips. And if you have no experience tempering chocolate, now is not the time to try it. icon_smile.gif

I have to log off for the night. Good luck with your lollipops!!

Sorry I didn't know what you meant. I know nothing about chocolate, except I like to eat it. Well we got the lollipops made and they look great BUT they are soft. I thought mixing the semis with the milk chocolate would make them firmer but I'm not sure. Maybe in the morning they'll be better. I also noted that just slightly on the surface what seems to be wet is oil or something and and they are a bit sticky...I'm hoping overnite they'll come out better. My fingers are crossed. OH btw we didn't add any additional fat to the mix either. The white chocolate did superfine. It seems to be hardened fine to a crunchy texture. We used it for painting our pirates and sharks..lol..I hope if they survive getting a picture of them. Looks like we have a school of sharks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%