Transporting A Castle Cake??

Decorating By LoriMc Updated 14 Nov 2009 , 5:58pm by FullHouse

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 11:37pm
post #1 of 6

Will turrets that are secured with candy melts stay in place on the cake board? The last time I made a castle, it was years ago and I used royal icing, which did NOT hold them in place?

I want to make sure before I agree to do another one. Thanks!

5 replies
FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 12:32am
post #2 of 6

Mine did, I used the Wilton Castle kit held with candy melts, fondant 2 tiered square castle in my photos and drove about 1/2 hour with it.

Edited to say: oops, that one is not in my photos but I used the candy melts on the round castle that IS in my photos and walked to a neighbor's house with that one.

LoriMc Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 3:50am
post #3 of 6

I am making my turrets from cardboard rolls covered in fondant, therefore the bottoms are not solid like the wilton ones. Do you think it's still ok?

FullHouse Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 3:15pm
post #4 of 6

I'm sure it will be fine, just make sure you spread the candy melts along the entire side that will attach to the cake. I'd put some on the bottom as well and let it mound up inside the tube so the candy gives the tube an internal pedestal of sorts (hope that makes sense). I'm sure that would be overkill, but I always feel better with extra support. Please post pics when it's finished.

LoriMc Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 5:34pm
post #5 of 6

Do you think it would help if I overlapped the fondant on the bottom of the tube so that it will be sticking in the candy melts? I figure that would give me some more area to glue to the bottom.

FullHouse Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 5:58pm
post #6 of 6

I'm not sure, but my guess is that the fondant isn't really strong enough on its own to be of much help. I think if you have a mound of candy melts in the opening of the tube, then the inside wall of the tube will be able to stick to the candy melts and the candy melts will be stuck to the board. Just a guess though as I haven't ever done it that way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%